Winter Gardening Planner
Consult this handy checklist for wintertime care and maintenance of your garden.
- Plan your vegetable and flower beds.
- Order flower and vegetable seeds.
- Group containers for stability in high winds and for insulation.
- Wrap terra-cotta pots in bubble plastic or pack in mulch for frost protection.
- Harvest winter crops.
- Build a raised bed.
- Put up new bird boxes.
- Prune wisteria, and most trees, including apples and pears, in late winter.
- Plant bare-root trees and shrubs in late winter.
- Take root cuttings from perennials.
- Prune late-flowering clematis.
- Prune trees to create multistemmed specimens.
- Chit potatoes in late winter to plant in spring.
Any Time of Year
- Make a compost bin; fill, turn and empty when necessary.
- Make a wooden obelisk.
- Create a bog garden.
- Dig out a pond.
- Make a border and lawn edge.
- Make a rose arch.
- Check tree ties, and loosen if necessary.
- Look out for pests and diseases, and take appropriate action.
- Cut out dead or diseased wood.
- Clean all cutting tools after use to prevent spreading plant diseases.