Autumn Gardening Planner
Do these jobs during the fall and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying the next growing season.
- Prepare beds for spring planting.
- Plant spring bulbs, except tulips, in beds and lawns.
- Plant containers and baskets for winter color.
- Take hardwood cuttings.
- Sow sweet peas for an early display the following year.
- Plant wallflowers for spring color.
- Bring houseplants back indoors, checking for pests and diseases first.
- Protect slightly tender exotics from frost by wrapping in fleece.
- Cover slightly tender perennials with a thick mulch of straw or bark chippings.
- Move tender dahlia tubers and cannas inside.
- Turf or sow lawns.
- Apply a fall lawn fertilizer to established lawns.
- Lay chamomile lawns.
- Make a woodpile shelter for wildlife.
- Prune hedges for the last time.
- Plant shrubs, roses, trees, hedges, climbers and fruit bushes.
- Plant tulips.
- Sow broad beans.
- Plant onions and garlic.
- Grow trees from seed.
- Indoors, plant amaryllis bulbs and prepared hyacinths and narcissi.
- Trim late-flowering shrubs to reduce winter wind damage.
- Rake up fallen leaves and compost.
Any Time of Year
- Make a compost bin; fill, turn and empty when necessary.
- Make a wooden obelisk.
- Create a bog garden.
- Dig out a pond.
- Make a border and lawn edge.
- Make a rose arch.
- Check tree ties, and loosen if necessary.
- Look out for pests and diseases, and take appropriate action.
- Cut out dead or diseased wood.
- Clean all cutting tools after use to prevent spreading plant diseases.
Summer Gardening Planner
Follow this handy checklist and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
Spring Gardening Planner
Do these tasks during spring and caring for your garden will be easier, quicker and more satisfying.
Winter Gardening Planner
Consult this handy checklist for wintertime care and maintenance of your garden.
Make a Raised Garden Bed
A raised bed gives you an eye-catching feature, a better view of your plants and, by lifting them up, less strain on your back when tending them. Learn how to make a raised bed in one day.
Make Garden Containers From Cast-Offs
Upcycle old tin cans into stylish containers for grasses and summer flowers and get ideas for other "free" planting pots.
Color Garden for Florida
This garden design plan provides an ever-changing collage of bold, vibrant hues in foliage and flowers throughout the year.
Color Garden for the Pacific Northwest
Use this landscape design plan to create a garden that's full of color and interest throughout the seasons.
Color Garden for the Rockies and High Plains
Winterberry, red-osier dogwood and hyacinth bean help provide color throughout the seasons in this beautiful garden design.
Color Garden for the Upper Midwest
A vine-draped arbor and multi-seasonal color spotlight this garden room.
Color Garden for the California Coast
Create a kaleidoscope of color in your garden throughout the seasons with this easy-to-follow landscape plan.
Browse beautiful photos of our favorite outdoor spaces: decks, patios, porches and more.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada