Assemble a Greenhouse Kit
Create a level foundation and install a greenhouse.
Materials and Tools:
eight 12-foot 4x6 landscape timbers
one box landscape spikes
10-pound bag white gravel
three 12-foot 4x4 posts
12 10-foot pressure-treated 2x4s
15 10-foot 1-1/4x6 pressure-treated decking
3-1/2 inch galvanized nails
air compressor with hoses
power miter box
1. Greenhouse kits require a simple foundation, basically a perimeter of landscape timbers with a gravel floor. Based on the measurements given in the kit, make a square, level perimeter of 4x6 landscape timbers.
2. Nail the landscaping timbers together and spike them to the ground using landscape spikes. Check for square by measuring opposite diagonals. When the diagonal measurements are identical, the box is square.
3. Lay down landscape fabric to eliminate the weeds, then dump in 4 to 6-inches of gravel. This will assist in drainage.
4. Following the manufacturers instructions, assemble the greenhouse kit.
5. If desired, build and secure workbenches for the inside of the greenhouse. Bolt a 4x4 post to the landscape timber bottom frame. Then, make a perimeter of 2x4s. Next, make an inner perimeter of 2x2s, measuring 1-1/8 inches from the top of the 2x4 frame. This will give you a ledge to set the shelving boards on. Once that’s done, just lay in the shelving boards.
Avoiding these common landscaping mistakes will save money and time down the road.
How to Choose a Gardening Plan
A gardening plan allows you to develop your ideas about how to organize your space and its various elements, and share them with others. But what type of plan do you need? We'll help you pick.
Elements of Design: Unity
These simple guidelines can help you create a beautiful, unified garden regardless of your plant selection.
How to Reinforce a Privacy Fence
Shore up those sagging posts with concrete.
Frame Your Walkway: Build a Pergola
A shady, plant-covered pergola is a real treat on a hot summer's day, or the perfect spot for outdoor entertaining. Here, we show you how to build a pergola from a kit, which you can find at your local garden store.
Install Decorative Edging
Easy half-day project: keep the grass out of a planting bed and make mowing around it a breeze.
Make Your Own Personalized Pond or Water Channel
Want to bring some new interest to your garden? Have a couple of days to dedicate to a project? If you answered "yes," a pond's the plan for you. Here, we show you how to make ponds and water channels, step-by-step.
How to Repair a Walkway
Put an end to the cracking and crumbling with these step-by-step instructions.
Focus on Focal Points
Ideas for creating eye-catching elements in your garden.
Weave a Living Willow Screen
Slimmer than a hedge and just as easy to create, willow screens are ideal for garden room partitions or wind breaks.
Browse beautiful photos of our favorite outdoor spaces: decks, patios, porches and more.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.