Pistachio Spritz Cookies Recipe With Gift Wrapping
Whip up a batch of tasty holiday cookies from HGTV Magazine. Plus, youll find a festive way to wrap them as gifts.
Recipe by Food Network Magazine
Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Makes: about 84 cookies
1/2 cup pistachios
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Sanding sugar, for decorating
1. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350˚F.
2. Pulse the pistachios and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar in a food processor until the nuts are finely ground and powdery. Sift with the flour and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
3. Beat the remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar and the butter in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat until combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low; add the pistachio mixture and beat until completely incorporated.
4. Fill a cookie press with the dough, following the package instructions. Press cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart onto 2 ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake, switching the pans halfway through, until cookies are set and golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
1. Remove the plastic caps from both ends of a small cardboard mailing tube.
2. Cut a piece of wood grain–patterned wrapping paper the same height as the tube and wide enough that when you wrap it around the tube, it overlaps slightly. Adhere the paper to the tube with double-sided tape.
3. String a gift tag on a long piece of twine, then tie the twine around the tube. Replace the bottom cap and fill the tube with cookies. Replace the top cap.