Halloween Recipe: Yummy Mummy Empanadas
Wrap up fun for your Halloween party guests with these pepperoni pizza-style empanadas. Filled with hearty ingredients, they're a kid-pleasing snack for school lunches too.
By: Sam Henderson
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 ounces cold unsalted butter (1-1/2 sticks)
6-8 tablespoons cold water
24 black olive slices
1 cup pepperoni, finely chopped
1 cup shredded mozzarella or cheese blend
1-1/2 cups pizza sauce
Yield: 12 Empanadas
1. Cut butter into small pieces or freeze butter then grate with a cheese grater. Place butter pieces in the freezer to keep very cold.
2. Add flour and salt to food processor; pulse until fully combined.
3. Add butter and egg to flour mixture and pulse until incorporated. Tip: Scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl as necessary to ensure all ingredients are incorporated. Add water a tablespoon at a time. Pulse after each addition until a clumpy dough forms.
4. Pour dough onto plastic wrap and from a rectangle about 1" thick. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
5. While dough is resting, add all filling ingredients to a medium bowl and mix completely. Set aside.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
7. Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out to 1/8" thickness. Using a pizza cutter, cut (12) 5" x 5" squares of pastry. Tip: For best results cut a piece of paper or cardstock to use as a guide. Set the pieces of pastry aside on a sheet of parchment paper.
8. Add 2-1/2 tablespoons of filling to one side of the center of each pastry cutout leaving about 1/2 inch at the top, side and bottom of the pastry (Image 1).
9. Fold over the unfilled side. Use a fork to crimp the pastry together around the top, bottom and side. Repeat for the remaining pastries (Image 2).
10. Roll the remaining pastry dough a bit thinner and cut into thin strips (about 1/4" wide). Use the long strips to wrap around the pastries overlapping them randomly to resemble a mummy's bandages (Image 1).
11. About a third from the top, place two black olive slices, to serve as the mummy's eyes, in the center of the pastry. Wrap the dough strip over the olives to secure them (Image 2).
12. Pinch the loose end of the dough strip to the edge of the pastry to secure it. Trim away any unsightly parts with a pizza cutter.
13. Bake empanadas on a parchment-lined sheet in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving.
Halloween Treat: Candy-Corn Brownies Recipe
Concentric rings of colored sugar give moist, chocolatey brownies a candy-corn makeover for Halloween. They're as pleasing to the eye as they are to the palate.
Halloween Snack: Scream Cheese Sandwiches
Delight Halloween party guests of all ages with these fun-to-make savory mini sandwiches. Healthy and vegetarian-friendly, these spooky snacks are sure to be a hit with even the pickiest of palettes.
Halloween Party Appetizer: Cheesy Eyeballs
This fun-to-make appetizer will have your Halloween party guests doing a double take. A few simple ingredients make this savory snack a scary-easy addition to your party table.
Halloween Cocktail: Mr. Hyde Potion
This spirited Halloween drink might just be a life-changing experience. The potion is full of herbaceous flavors and a kick that will bring out the fun monster in your party guests.
Halloween Treat: Rice Cereal Monsters
These treats definitely won't suck the fun out of your Halloween soiree. With vampire teeth they can keep, your guests will fall in love with these tasty nibbles at first bite.
Make Frankens'more Treat Pops for Halloween
Delight your Halloween party guests with this frightfully cute spin on a classic campfire recipe. Turn chocolate-covered graham crackers filled with gooey marshmallow into a Frankenstein-themed treat pop for a fun-to-eat party favor.
Halloween Spirits: Bloody Orange Cocktail
The only thing scary about these Bloody Orange cocktails is how good they taste. The homemade raspberry syrup-filled syringes are sure to wow your guests.
Halloween Recipe: Mummy Hot Dogs
Wrap hot dogs in flaky, ready-made dough to create a Halloween party snack kids will love to help make before gobbling them up.
Halloween Morgue-A-Rita Cocktail
The ooey-gooey margarita will ensure your guests have a frightfully good time at your Halloween party. The blood red maraschino syrup adds the cherry 'on the bottom' while sugary green "goo" lends a creepy twist.
Fall Recipe: Chocolate-Dipped Pumpkin Madeleines
These autumnal pumpkin cookies are the just-right treat to serve at a Halloween party, Thanksgiving dinner or any fall get-together. They're also the not-too-sweet complement to a cup of tea and party of one.
Pumpkin-carving templates, easy costume ideas, party invites & favors, DIY decorations and more!
- Our 55 Favorite Halloween Decorating Ideas
- 40 Sweet & Salty Halloween Snacks
- 30 Halloween Kids' Crafts
- 50 Crafty Costume Ideas for Kids + Adults
- 15 Handmade Dog + Cat Costumes
- Host an Unforgettable Kids' Costume Party
- Throw a Kid's Halloween Craft Party
- 20+ Hip Halloween Decorating Ideas
- 10 Creep-Tastic Halloween Wreaths
- Set Up an Outdoor Trick-or-Treat Station
- Spooky Front Porch Decorating Ideas
- 21 Halloween Party Favor and Treat Bag Ideas
- 23 To-Die-For Halloween Cocktails
- Throw a Halloween Cupcake-Decorating Party
- 23 Beginner Pumpkin-Carving Templates
- 17 Advanced Pumpkin-Carving Templates
- 55 Free Printable Halloween Templates
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.