Turning a Footstool into a Pet Bed
Upholstered footstools are easily transformed into cushy pet beds.
Materials and Tools:
pin-nail gun and pin nails
finish-nail gun and finish nails
2-1/2" decorative railing
stain (ours was Olympic brand, oil-based stain in Deep Ebony)
1. With a table saw, cut the poplar into three 1" x 3/4" strips.
2. With the miter saw, cut the strips to the desired length (fitting the dimensions of the outer perimeter of the dog bed) with two of the pieces having only one mitered edge and the back piece having two mitered edges.
3. Cut the decorative railing to the same length also mitering the ends just as you did with the poplar strips.
4. Lightly sand the ends of all the pieces. Wipe away the dust then stain the wood. Let dry completely.
5. Use wood glue and a pin-nail gun to adhere the poplar strips together forming a basic three-sided frame for the railing to rest on.
6. Slip the frame around the top of the footstool and attach it to the stool using a finish-nail gun.
7. Again, with wood glue and the pin-nail gun, attach the railing to the poplar frame in the same three-sided fashion.
8. Using a small piece of the scrap railing, cut end caps for the front of the railing, lightly sand and attach with epoxy glue. Wipe away any excess glue with a clean rag and then apply a dab of stain to the ends.
Three-Sided Upholstered Headboard Frame
Bold and bright fabrics are used make a classically shaped headboard into a contemporary work of art.
How to Turn Nightstands into a Vanity
Turn two old bedside tables into a brand new vanity for your bedroom.
Bamboo Reed Room Dividers
Bamboo reeds are encased in epoxy to make a unique room divider.
Build a Hinged Room Divider
A custom-made room divider provides function and style.
Wooden Daybed Frame with Honeycomb Pattern
Create an exotic look in your home with an Indian-inspired daybed.
Build an Under-Bed Storage Box
This box is built with wheels so it can easily slide underneath the bed.
Dressing Up a Chandelier for the Holidays
Turn your dining room lighting into a festive holiday decoration.
Home Theater Fabric Paneled Wainscotting
Fabric wall panels enhance the acoustics and the aesthetics in a movie room.
Sliding Shoji-Screen Doors for an Entertainment Center
Bookshelf frames are used to construct shoji-style doors for a media cabinet.
Hanging Crown Molding
Simple, one-piece crown molding adds dimension and style to any room.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.