Traditional Woven Fish Ornament
Make a fish ornament out of hala plant leaves with this simple weaving technique.
Crafter Michael Nahoopii demonstrates how to weave a traditional hand fish from hala plant leaves.
- leaves of the hala plant
- spray bottle with water
1. Prepare two leaves of the hala plant by removing the thorns and spraying them with water to soften. Cut them into 1/2" strips.
2. Wrap one strip around your left hand two times starting from the front of your palm to the back of your hand. Both loose ends of the strip should be facing down in your palm.
3. With the second strip start from your wrist and weave under then over the strip in your hand (Image 1).
4. Continue around the back side of your hand weaving under then over (Image 2).
5. Come around the front and weave over then under and around the back weaving over then under (Image 1).
6. Both loose ends of the second strip should end up to the left of your hand. Remove your left hand and tighten all loose strips (Image 2).
7. Trim the loose ends to form the fins and tail of your traditional hand fish.
8. Slip a loop of raffia into the mouth to hang (Image 3).