Traditional Woven Fish Ornament
Make a fish ornament out of hala plant leaves with this simple weaving technique.
Crafter Michael Nahoopii demonstrates how to weave a traditional hand fish from hala plant leaves.
- leaves of the hala plant
- spray bottle with water
1. Prepare two leaves of the hala plant by removing the thorns and spraying them with water to soften. Cut them into 1/2" strips.
2. Wrap one strip around your left hand two times starting from the front of your palm to the back of your hand. Both loose ends of the strip should be facing down in your palm.
3. With the second strip start from your wrist and weave under then over the strip in your hand (Image 1).
4. Continue around the back side of your hand weaving under then over (Image 2).
5. Come around the front and weave over then under and around the back weaving over then under (Image 1).
6. Both loose ends of the second strip should end up to the left of your hand. Remove your left hand and tighten all loose strips (Image 2).
7. Trim the loose ends to form the fins and tail of your traditional hand fish.
8. Slip a loop of raffia into the mouth to hang (Image 3).
Handmade Vintage Fabric Placemats
Create a festive look at your table with fabric placemats. They are designed to be reversible: use one side year-round and save the other side for special occasions and celebrations.
Handmade Glass Jar Candleholders
Candles are essential at Christmas. They bring a sense of warmth, so dot these pretty tealight candleholders around a table or along a windowsill. Decorate the jars with simple decor, and tie on ribbons that echo the colors in the room.
Homemade S'mores Kit
Create fun s'mores kits with made-from-scratch ingredients as a tasty handmade gift for friends and family.
Dreaming Of a Green Christmas
Find out what's hot in environmentally-friendly Christmas decorations.
31 Printable (and Free!) Thanksgiving Templates
Our printable Thanksgiving invitations, place cards, menu labels, kids' crafts and favor tags will add the finishing touch to your fall festivities.
DIY Stockings From HGTV Stars
HGTV hosts shared their ideas for made-from-scratch stockings with HGTV Magazine.
6 Easy DIY Gifts
Nothing says thoughtful giving like a homemade present. So, HGTV Magazine came up with six crazy-simple gifts you can make.
Recycled Sweater Scarf
Create a knit-style scarf without actually knitting by cleverly repurposing sweaters.
Download HGTV Magazine’s DIY Stocking Templates
HGTV Magazine helps you create made-from-scratch stockings with two templates.
Snowglobe with Handmade Glass Sculptures
Connie Deady of Santa Monica, Calif., makes glass sculptures to fill a one-of-a-kind snowglobe.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.