The Ultimate DIY Mother's Day Gift
HGTV Magazine is giving you the tools to pull off a Mother’s Day slam dunk: a DIY cosmetic pouch filled with essentials she’ll love.
Dip-Dye a Pouch
1. Soak a cotton pouch in warm water, then squeeze it out.
2. Partially fill a shoe box–size plastic container with hot water 2 inches high. Stir in 1 tablespoon liquid fabric dye and 1 teaspoon salt. Place the bottom of the pouch in the dye, and let sit for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the pouch from the dye, and rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear. Let dry overnight.
4. Click here to download the block-letter template (you'll have access to the entire alphabet). Using the template as a guide, cut an initial out of iron-on gold vinyl. Apply the letter to the pouch following the package instructions.
5. Thread cord through the zipper pull, and tie it in a knot.
Pouch: 6" x 9" cotton canvas cosmetic bag in white, $24, frankieandcocopdx.etsy.com; Dye: Rit liquid dye in teal, $5 for 8 ounces, joann.com; Gold vinyl: Happy Face metallic iron-on vinyl in gold medal, $6.50 for a 12" x 19" sheet, happycrafters.com; Cord 3-mm-wide faux-suede cord in emerald green, $3.50 for 15', naturebeads.etsy.com
Stock the Bag With Products She'll Love
Lotion: 1-ounce body cream in waterlily sun, $15, aerin.com; Lipstick: Revlon Ultra HD Matte lipstick in devotion, $8, target.com; Hair brush: Olivia Garden Essentials folding brush and mirror in gold, $3, ulta.com; Key Chain: Tiny Tassel 3 ½" cotton thread key chain in peacock and gold, $2.50, hautepinkfluff.etsy.com; Charger: Back Me Up 2 ¼" x 2 ¼" plastic phone charger in florabunda, $30, bando.com; Nail File: Neon Is Spot On 5" nail file, $5, tweezerman.com