Sterling Charm Bracelet
Learn how to string beautiful sterling charms and beads to make a gorgeous charm bracelet.
Project by Deirdre Oringer from Brewster, Mass.
Materials and Tools:
20-gauge sterling silver sheet metal
sterling silver heart clasp/star catch
22-gauge sterling silver wire
4mm sterling rolo chain
hand-cut, hand-stamped sterling silver heart charms
sterling head pins
1. For the heart charms, lay a paper template on the 20-gauge sheet of sterling. Trace it and cut them out with a 1/0 saw blade.
2. Use a single stamp repeatedly to create a pattern on each heart.
3. File the edges and buff off the sharp edges. Solder the tiny jump rings into the center of the hearts.
4. Use a silver oxidizer to blacken the piece and then buff off the black. Note that it stays in the grooves of the design stamped earlier.
5. To create the bracelet, the artist uses a sterling clasp (heart) and sterling star catch that she designed and has cast.
6. Dip a length of sterling 4mm rolo chain into oxidizer and then into water to neutralize the oxidation (true for the hearts as well).
7. Cut four- to five-link lengths and then wrap 22-gauge wire onto the heart clasp, leaving about 2 inches of wire.
8. Feed on turquoise beads, and wrap the end of the bead length into the first length of chain. Repeat the process five times until the star is connected.
9. Buff away the black from the chain lengths, leaving a little to give it an antiqued look.
10. Choose four turquoise beads (per section of chain) and place them onto handmade sterling head pins.
11. Wrap each bead onto a link, and finally end with wrapping a heart into the center link of each section.
How to Make a Sparkly Cell Phone Cover
Add sparkling, trendy style to your cell phone by covering it with crystals.
Design a Hand-painted Collaged Briefcase
Kay Hilde shows how to collage colorful swirls and other shapes onto a hand-painted briefcase.
House Trinket Box
Peggy Johnston makes a trinket box from polyester sheeting in the shape of a house.
How to Make a Pressed Flower Coaster Set
Avoid watermarks on your living room tables with these easy to make pressed flower coasters.
How to Make a Leather Journal
Use basic bookbinding techniques and stamping to create this trim, professional leather journal.
How to Make a Mosaic Leaf Mirror
Sculpt leaves from clay and use them to decorate this mosaic tile mirror.
How to Make a Flower-Shaped Teaspoon Rest
Display a teaspoon on a flower-shaped clay rest.
How to Make a Graphic Coaster Gocco Print
Create your own coasters and print professional images using a Gocco printer.
Candy-Filled Paper Cornucopias
Sweeten Christmas by filling these festive and easy-to-make paper horns with candy.
Collaged Box Clock
Brenda Marks attaches bee charms as clock hands to her collaged box clock.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.