Poster Art Dresser
Give a boring dresser a fresh look by decoupaging your favorite vintage poster right on the front.
Cathie Filian and Steve Piacenza have some easy ideas for dressing up old furniture. They use French poster art to add serious style to a boring dresser or to transform a plain table with a stunning mod design. Another option? Use a favorite print to fancy up a fridge for an extra-cool dorm room. Just about all you have to do is stick it on the front and seal it.
Materials and Tools:
chest of drawers with flat-faced drawer fronts
one French advertisement or film poster
sewing or paper weights
découpage medium or clear spray sealer
1. Remove drawer pulls.
2. Hold the poster up to the chest of drawers; determine and measure where the top of the poster will fall on the top drawer. Measure the height of each drawer and the distance between each.
3. Measure and draw lines to divide the poster into sections corresponding to each drawer and each dividing space between each.
4. Place the poster on the self-healing mat. Align the yardstick on each cutting line and weigh the yardstick and poster down with sewing weights. Use the yardstick as a guide to cut each line with the rotary cutter.
5. Keeping the poster strips in the proper order, apply each piece to the corresponding drawer or spacer piece by spraying each strip with adhesive and positioning it in the center of the dresser section.
6. Use the brayer to flatten the poster and ensure it adheres well. Allow the adhered strips to dry.
7. Use a sanding sponge to lightly sand the edges of the dresser sections for an aged effect.
8. Apply découpage medium or clear spray sealer to each dresser section to protect it.
Make a Reverse-Painted Tabletop
This decorative tabletop/wine bar calls for both technique and imagination. Learn how to make a tabletop with the reverse-painting technique.
Furniture Makeover: TV Armoire Turned Craft Cabinet
Shelves and cushioned display boards are added to the inside of an old armoire -- found at a flea market for $75 — to make it more functional.
How to Build Kirei Board Bookcases
Eco-friendly boards add a beautiful but inexpensive touch to built-in plywood shelves.
How to Give Furniture a Faux Finish
Create custom "antique" furniture with paint and wax.
How to Make a Handpainted Funky Wood Chair
Paint a design on an old chair and attach a fun fabric with this project.
How to Make Twig Furniture
Add a country touch to any decor with this project.
Give a Hutch a Craftsman Face-Lift
Follow these step-by-step instructions for transforming an old hutch into a Craftsman showpiece.
The Ultimate Sports-Cap Hanger
Step-by-step instructions for building a display for your collection
Upcycle a Plain Kids' Chair With a Decoupaged Map
Put an old map to new use as a colorful addition to plain wooden kids' chairs.
How to Make a Reverse Mosaic Chair
This colorful chair uses a reverse mosaic technique so the surface is smooth for sitting.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.