Peeled Paint Art
Use these step-by-step instructions to make a beautiful collage using decoupage.
Missy Jaycox crafts a memento collage of her mother.
Materials and Tools:
color copy of a photo
4" x 4" artist canvas
decoupage or gel medium
white acrylic paint
white seed beads
needle and thread
glue gun and hot glue
1. Tear scrapbook papers to size and glue them to the artist canvas using decoupage medium applied with a brush. Extend the papers around the edges of the canvas and decoupage the photo.
2. Finger-paint a thick coating of petroleum jelly onto the canvas surface. Be careful to cover selected elements of your design with the petroleum jelly that are important to the design, for example, the photo.
Note: The petroleum jelly works as a resist so that the paint won't stick to the areas where it was applied. Leave a border around the outside of the canvas clear of the jelly.
3. Paint over the whole canvas with white acrylic paint and set aside to dry.
4. Wipe off the petroleum jelly and the paint with paper towels. The areas not covered with petroleum jelly will be painted.
5. With needle and thread, come up from underneath the canvas at the neckline of the photo, string on white seed beads and stitch back down through the canvas on the other side of the neckline. Knot the thread in back.
6. Hot glue ribbon around the edge of the canvas.
How to Make a 3-D Ceramic Art Block
Create a 3-D ceramic art block to hang on your wall using under glazes and a silkscreen design.
Make a Fun Zipper Fruit Bowl
Put utilitarian zippers to a new, creative use by gluing them around wooden forms such as a bowl and fruit.
How to Make a Graphic Coaster Gocco Print
Create your own coasters and print professional images using a Gocco printer.
How to Make a Flower-Shaped Teaspoon Rest
Display a teaspoon on a flower-shaped clay rest.
Funky Lazy Susan
Put your own creative spin on this kitchen convenience.
Collaged Box Clock
Brenda Marks attaches bee charms as clock hands to her collaged box clock.
Make a Faux-Fur Throw
You don't need real fur to create the picture of elegance.
Polymer Clay Frame With Snowballs and Santa
Add decorative touches to an ordinary picture frame to create a personalized holiday gift.
"Dream" Collage Shadowbox
Kim Elowe of Glendale, Calif., makes whimsical shadowboxes.
How to Make an Autumn-Inspired Framed Mirror
This multidimensional mirror features wooden branches and fabric-painted leaves, bringing instant style to any home.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.