Paper Clay Tiled Box
Add a stylish and unique accessory to your home with this homemade jewelry box.
Project by Sara Felix from Austin, Texas.
A fun and bubbly Sara found a way to combine her love of mosaic tile and paper clay in this stylish and unique accessory box.
Materials and Tools:
unfinished box for 4-1/4" tiles
4-1/4" square template
stamps, beads, etc. to press in clay
pigment ink stamps
1. Roll out the paper clay with a rolling pin to the desired thickness, about 1/4 inch thick. Then using the template, cut a square.
2. After the square is cut, dust your "stamps" (handmade stamps, beads, and foam stamps) and press them into the clay. When you are done, the clay will have spread some, so use your template to make sure it is still a 4-1/2-inch square.
3. Cut the tiles into 16 pieces, a four by four grid (four rows of four pieces each). Let the tiles dry. Using acrylic paints, paint the recessed stamped areas. Let dry.
4. Paint the raised surfaces with pigment ink, and cover with pigment powder, making sure you coat the sides of the tiles as well.
5. After painting, spray the tiles with a sealer. Let dry. Decorate the box while the tiles are drying. Sand the box, and then coat it with pigment inks to match the tiles. Cover with a stain to seal and give the inks a richer look.
6. Glue the tiles onto the surface of the box when everything is dry.
Tip: Line the inside of the box with felt to give it a finished look and/or if you want to use it for jewelry.
Polymer Clay Bookmark
Attach a pre-made clay tile to handmade paper to create a polymer clay bookmark.
How to Paint Decorative Tile
Use tile as a canvas for painting any design you desire.
How to Build a Mosaic Light Box
Construct a wood box and cut mosaic pieces to create this Cow Jumping Over the Moon light.
How to Make a Sunny Glass Tile Coaster
Create this glass tile square, reminiscent of a quilt block, from cheerful green and yellow fusible glass.
How to Make a Modern Mosaic Tile Box
Create a modern, colorful clay tile mosaic pattern on top of a decorative box.
How to Make Art Transfer Tiles
Combine works of art into collages and adhere them to marble tiles for one-of-a-kind coasters.
Polymer Clay Tile Clock
Create a polymer clay tile clock that's embellished with stamps, paints and pigment powders.
Tin Ceiling Tile Collage
Lainey loves projects that have a historical feel to them. She scours the antique stores and flea markets looking for just the right pieces for her artwork. Here she makes a tin ceiling tile collage.
How to Hand Carve Decorative Tile
Carve your own design into a clay tile and color glaze it with these simple steps.
How to Make a Rusted Paper Book Cover
Rust on paper? It's possible with this book cover project by first rusting a piece of steel and then applying paper to the rust.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada