Masking-Tape Floor Mat
Materials and Tools:
1-inch green and 2-inch manila masking tape
vinyl floor mat
red-oak wood stain
black permanent marker
1. Apply latex primer to the back of the vinyl floor mat with a paintbrush. Let it dry.
2. Draw leaf designs on the mat with a black permanent marker.
3. Rip off small pieces of green masking tape and fill in the leaves, overlapping the pieces. Be sure to add pieces of tape to the stems as well. Apply pieces of green masking tape to the edges of the mat for a border.
4. Tear strips and pieces of the manila masking tape to fill in the background around the leaves. Contour the pieces to fit around the leaves. Some of the strips can be five or six inches long, but be sure to overlap all the pieces.
5. Using a soft cloth, rub on red-oak stain over the tape to give it depth and dimension.
6. Apply several coats of oil-based polyurethane on the mat with a paintbrush.