Shake up the usual stocking stuffers with a snow globe-inspired soap that looks just like the real deal.
Materials and Tools:
snow globe-shaped soap molds
melt and pour clear glycerin soap
round globe insert toys
1. For the first pour (the clear soap): Melt the soap in the microwave.
2. Add fragrance and mix well. Add colorants and mix well.
3. Pour approximately 40 grams (about 1.5 ounces) of the colored and fragranced soap into each of the snow globe molds and quickly insert the snow globe ball into the soap mold. Allow the first pour to harden thoroughly.
4. While waiting for the first pour to harden, prepare the second pour (the opaque soap): Melt the soap in the microwave.
5. Add fragrance and mix well.
6. Add the white colorant to make the soap opaque (or not transparent) and mix well.
7. Add additional colorants to color the opaque soap (if desired) and mix well.
8. After ensuring the first pour is hard, pour the opaque soap on top of the clear soap. Allow the second pour to harden completely.
9. After the soap has thoroughly hardened, it can either be removed from the mold, wrapped in plastic wrap and sealed it with a sticker, or it can be left in the mold until ready for use.
- The soap melts begins to melt at 135 degrees.
- Always melt the soap in a microwave-safe container, never in the soap molds.
- Always add the fragrance first because the fragrance may affect the overall color of the soap.
- Don't pour the soap when it is steaming. Continuing to stir it will reduce the temperature; putting the soap into the refrigerator or blowing a fan on it will speed up the cooling process.
- A small amount of color and fragrance will go a long way.
- Child supervision is encouraged and recommended.
- To more easily remove the soap from the mold, put the finished soap (still in the mold) into the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes, remove from freezer and pop the soap out of the mold. This will enable the soap to shrink slightly, making it easier to remove from the mold.
Holiday Soap Packaged in a Papier-Mache Box
Tuck handmade scented soap in a decoupaged papier-mache gift box for a festive holiday gift.
How to Make Sushi Soap
Combine skin nourishing ingredients with a natural melt-and-pour soap to create one-of-a-kind, sushi-shaped soap.
Peace On Earth Snow Globe Card
Create an easy to make holiday card with a snow globe on the front.
Snow Globe Christmas Ornament
Create playful ornaments to add a frosty touch to your Christmas tree.
Sew a Pair of Felt Slippers
Keep your friends and family warm this holiday season by gifting a pair of cozy handmade slippers.
Personalized Stamp Kit and Stationery
Create a handy gift for personalizing stationery or other paper goods.
Homemade S'mores Kit
Create fun s'mores kits with made-from-scratch ingredients as a tasty handmade gift for friends and family.
Dog's Christmas Stocking
Create an easy, festive felt stocking to hold gifts for your favorite four-legged friend.
Popsicle Stick Gift Tag
These gift tags are very easy to create, a perfect project for the kids to help with.
Mod Holiday Gift Wrapping Ideas
Add some modern flair to your holiday packages with handmade embellishments like inexpensive jewelry findings and (free!) printable ornaments.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada