Make a Faux-Fur Throw
You don't need real fur to create the picture of elegance.
Cuddle up to the latest faux-fur fabrics with this throw project.
Materials and Tools:
nice-quality faux-fur fabric cut to desired size of finished throw
yardage of fabric cut to a slightly smaller size for backing?silk, cotton or velvet
fabric glue or hot-glue gun and fabric-glue sticks
button covering kit for large buttons
red dupioni silk
- Place wrong sides of the faux fur and backing fabric together. Center the smaller backing piece on top of the piece of faux fur, and pin around the edges to hold them in place.
- Fold the overlapping faux fabric onto backing. The overlap should be about 1 1/2 inches. Hot-glue the two pieces together on three sides.
- Trim off the tips of the corners to prevent bunching when you fold over the throw.
- Insert a comforter into the open side if you’re planning to use it as a duvet. If you’re planning to use it as a throw, hot-glue the fourth side together.
- If desired, add buttons for interest. Use a button covering kit for large buttons, and cover with red dupioni silk following the instructions on the kit.
- Use hook-and-loop tape to create the impression of buttoning the edge over.
How to Make a Flower-Shaped Teaspoon Rest
Display a teaspoon on a flower-shaped clay rest.
How to Make a Graphic Coaster Gocco Print
Create your own coasters and print professional images using a Gocco printer.
Funky Lazy Susan
Put your own creative spin on this kitchen convenience.
Collaged Box Clock
Brenda Marks attaches bee charms as clock hands to her collaged box clock.
How to Make a Sparkly Cell Phone Cover
Add sparkling, trendy style to your cell phone by covering it with crystals.
Design a Hand-painted Collaged Briefcase
Kay Hilde shows how to collage colorful swirls and other shapes onto a hand-painted briefcase.
House Trinket Box
Peggy Johnston makes a trinket box from polyester sheeting in the shape of a house.
Learn how to make a steel dragonfly ornament that's perfect for dressing up any corner of the home.
How to Make a Papier Mache Dog Sculpture
Create this Rottweiler dog sculpture with papier mache strips plastered onto wire.
"Dream" Collage Shadowbox
Kim Elowe of Glendale, Calif., makes whimsical shadowboxes.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.