How to Weld Metal Flower Garden Art
Make a metal flower from five forks with metalworking techniques.
Materials and Tools:
5 stainless steel forks
3 feet of 3/16" steel rod
bucket of water
chop saw with metal cutting blade
oxygen acetylene tanks
welding safety equipment (hood, gloves)
- Put on safety glasses. Cut the handles off five forks using a chop saw fitted with a metal cutting blade.
- Place a 3-foot section of steel rod in the vice grips with 1-foot sticking straight up from the top.
- Put on welding gloves. Light the torch and heat the stock where it meets the vice. Bend it into a 90-degree angle. Using the heat, begin turning the rod in a clockwise motion creating a tight scroll.
- When there's not much stock left to scroll, stop, heat a small area under the scroll and using scrolling pliers, bend the base so the scroll is at a 45-degree angle to the stock. Turn off the torch. Quench the scroll in cold water.
- Clean the soot off the scroll with a wire brush.
- Place the scroll face down and weld the fork tops to the back of the scroll, evenly placing them around the back of the scroll.
- Weld two fork handles to the stock halfway down to act as leaves.
- Carefully put the torch handle in the vice. Light the torch. Heat the outside prongs of each fork, two per fork, being careful not to overheat. Bend the prongs out with scrolling pliers.
- Repeat bending prongs for all five forks.
Aly Winningham, Cedar Creek, Texas
How to Make a Metal Fish Sculpture
Cut, weld and spray paint metal to create this whimsical fish sculpture.
How to Make Colorful Mosaic Garden Art
Learn how to make mosaic art for your garden using three-dimensional tiles and marbles.
How to Make a Retro Serving Tray
Create a retro-inspired tray perfect for serving sushi or any favorite appetizer.
How to Make a Swirling Stemmed Glass Goblet
Create unique green glassware with curving stems with this glassblowing project.
How to Make a Creative Squiggle Glass Platter
Fuse and slump glass in a kiln to create this unique glass platter filled with quirky glass shapes.
How to Make a Slumped Glass Wavy Bowl
Fuse a floral design onto a vibrant red slumped bowl that's as functional as it is beautiful.
How to Make a Clay Garden Sphere
Create a unique piece of outdoor art with speckled stoneware clay and clay-carving tools
How to Make a Ceramic Garden Sculpture
Sculpt facial features and flowers from clay to create a whimsical work of garden art.
How to Make a Papier Mache Bowl With Leaves
Cover the back of a bowl with newspaper strips and spackle, and use paint and leaves to create a decorative piece.
How to Make a Recycled Glass Tray
Turn an old storm window and a handful of red sand into a stylish glass tray.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada