How to Stamp an Elegant Black and White Box
Use decorative stamps to embellish a plain white box with black accents.
Materials and Tools:
papier mache boxes with lids
Rubber Stampede stamps:
- signature background (3255R)
- acanthus background (3320R)
- rose etched background (3321R)
- music background (3322R)
- harlequin (3218)
Delta Ceramcoat acrylic thinner
Delta Ceramcoat acrylics: black, white
Delta Ceramcoat satin decoupage medium
Delta Ceramcoat satin interior varnish
1. Paint boxes with white paint. Let dry. Some boxes may require two coats.
2. Pour small amount of black paint onto paper plate. Mix with a little acrylic thinner to make paint the consistency of ink.
3. Pat paint onto rubber stamp with the flat edge of a wedge sponge.
4. Stamp onto white paper. Stamp several pieces of paper with different stamp patterns. Reapply paint to stamp after each impression.
5. Trim stamped papers close to stamped designs or trim into various shapes.
6. Apply decoupage medium to back of trimmed stamped papers. Glue to white boxes.
7. Position papers so they cover the entire box or use the papers to create a variety of different designs.
8. Use a thin paintbrush to accent parts of the boxes with black paint, such as the lid.
9. Use assorted black and white ribbons to trim boxes.
Radiant Red Sideboard
From the pages of HGTV Magazine, Drew Scott of Property Brothers tells you how to remix this old item with a little more than paint.
10 Non-Tools to Keep in Your Toolbox
Sure, he uses hammers and screwdrivers. But Chris Grundy, host of DIY Network’s Cool Tools, tells HGTV Magazine what else he stashes for repair job surprises.
Budget-Friendly Blogger Style
HGTV Magazine asked some smart-spending bloggers to each decorate a space using more creativity than cash. The payoff: tons of easy dollar-stretching tricks that are right on the money.
Decorator's Shopping Guide to eBay
Smart search tips to help you locate decorating deals on the world's largest online auction site.
HGTV Magazine: October 2011
Online content from the October 2011 issue of HGTV Magazine.
The 3 Principles of Interior Design
Account for function, mood and personality in any decorating project with these pointers.
What to Do When Your Neighbors Drive You Nuts
Had it up to here with the folks next door? Take a deep breath and heed this expert advice from HGTV Magazine.
Get it in Writing: A Contractor Talks About Contracts
Contractor and host of Holmes on Homes, Mike Holmes talks about why you should always get a contract from your contractor.
5 Tips for Fighting Household Odors
Get to the root of the problem with a little routine maintenance.
How to Build an Outdoor Recycling Center
Add shelter and organization for recycling and waste bins with a recycling center made from basic building materials.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.