How to Sew a Softhead Stuffed Animal
Make a simple, fleece softie toy that's all head and no body.
Materials and Tools:
eyes and nose with rod and grommet backing
approximately 1/4-yard polar fleece (head color)
2 pieces of approximately 4" x 8" polar fleece (ears front and back)
1. Lay the 4" x 8" polar fleece pieces with right sides together.
2. Sew two tombstone shapes side-by-side using a sewing machine.
3. Trim around the sewing line and turn right side out for the ears.
4. Fold the head fabric in half and cut a rough oval shape from both layers.
5. Sew eyebrow and mouth line on one piece.
6. Trim threads.
7. Snip a small slit where one eye should go and push the eye rod through.
8. Press the grommet on to secure the eye.
9. Repeat with the second eye and the nose.
10. With eyes facing up, lay the softhead on table.
11. Place the ears on top with raw edges facing out.
12. Place softhead back on the top, right sides together, sandwiching the ears in between.
13. Pin the three layers together at the ears.
14. Sew around the perimeter starting at the bottom. Leave 2-3 inches unsewn at the bottom.
15. Turn right side out through the opening.
16. Fill with stuffing.
17. Hand sew the opening closed at the base.
Diane Toepfer, Portland, Maine
How to Preserve Baby Footprints in Glass
Cut a stencil and transfer your baby's footprints to float glass.
How to Make a Faux Wood Dog Portrait
Create a dog portrait with various patterns of wood grain contact paper.
Project for Kids: Clay Sea Sculptures
Sculpt sea creatures and bake them to populate your own underwater world.
How to Make a Mosaic Pet Feeder Table
Make an elevated pet feeder table for your dog using MDF and a simple mosaic design.
Sewn Dog Photo Collage
Meg Spielman Peldo demonstrates how to sew a dog photo on canvas to create her collage.
Dog Harness Vest
If your pooch is a puller, this DIY harness vest will protect the neck from leash burn while making your dog the best dressed on the block.
How to Make a Mosaic Stained Glass Portrait
Attach stained glass pieces to adhesive paper placed over a photo to create a mosaic glass portrait.
How to Make a Sunflower Wall Hanging
Use wood and stained glass to create a sunflower wall hanging.
How to Make a Cookie Cutter Tossing Game
Improve a child’s hand-eye coordination with this homemade game set.
How to Build a Child's Wooden Rocking Horse
Add to your old-fashioned Christmas with this wooden rocking horse. Follow these step-by-step instructions.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.