How to Sew a Softhead Stuffed Animal
Make a simple, fleece softie toy that's all head and no body.
Materials and Tools:
eyes and nose with rod and grommet backing
approximately 1/4-yard polar fleece (head color)
2 pieces of approximately 4" x 8" polar fleece (ears front and back)
1. Lay the 4" x 8" polar fleece pieces with right sides together.
2. Sew two tombstone shapes side-by-side using a sewing machine.
3. Trim around the sewing line and turn right side out for the ears.
4. Fold the head fabric in half and cut a rough oval shape from both layers.
5. Sew eyebrow and mouth line on one piece.
6. Trim threads.
7. Snip a small slit where one eye should go and push the eye rod through.
8. Press the grommet on to secure the eye.
9. Repeat with the second eye and the nose.
10. With eyes facing up, lay the softhead on table.
11. Place the ears on top with raw edges facing out.
12. Place softhead back on the top, right sides together, sandwiching the ears in between.
13. Pin the three layers together at the ears.
14. Sew around the perimeter starting at the bottom. Leave 2-3 inches unsewn at the bottom.
15. Turn right side out through the opening.
16. Fill with stuffing.
17. Hand sew the opening closed at the base.
Diane Toepfer, Portland, Maine
How to Make a Denim Toy Storage Bag
Stash children's toys in this personalized denim tote bag.
How to Make a Dyed Fabric Book Cover
Dress up a plain book, photo album or journal with a hand-dyed and beaded fabric cover.
How to Sew a Beaded Scarf Halter Top
Make a quick and easy halter top in just a few simple steps — starting with a scarf.
How to Sew an Arashi Silk Cosmetic Bag
Make a cosmetic clutch using Arashi dyed silk and a serger for professional results.
No-Sew Fairy Wings
Learn how to craft these fairy wings for an upcoming costume party.
How to Weave a Baby Bib
Stitch cotton bias tape to a favorite fabric to make a personal baby gift.
How to Make a Block Print Fabric Purse
Carve a linoleum block to decorate your fabric for this floral purse.
How to Sew Food-Shaped Stuffed Toys
Make three soft toys cute enough to eat: a tomato, broccoli and ham.
How to Make Stamped Velvet Flower Accessories
Emboss velvet ribbon with your favorite stamp designs, and sew to create soft fabric flowers.
How to Make a Small Yarn Embellished Purse
Dress up a small purse with a special photo and a bundle of fluffy yarn.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.