How to Sew a Faux Chenille Scarf
Create a budget-friendly chenille scarf look-a-like from dupioni silk and black wool felt.
Materials and Tools:
1/2 yard tan dupioni silk
1/4 yard National Nonwovens black wool felt
5" paper circle pattern
Clover Slash Cutter (optional)
1. Cut one 45" x 12" piece and two 6" x 12" pieces of tan dupioni silk.
2. Use tan thread to sew the shorter pieces to each end of the longer piece with a 1/4" French seam.
3. Cut four 36" x 1/2" strips of black wool felt to go around the entire scarf.
4. Sew a strip to all four edges of the scarf, matching the edge of the strip to the edge of the scarf using a 1/4" seam allowance. When you run out of a strip, begin a new one about 1/4" over the end of the old strip.
5. Turn the felt to the other side, encasing the seam allowance in the dupioni and stitch in the ditch to hold in place. A quarter inch of black felt will peak out from this new bound edge.
6. Cut four 5" circles from black wool felt using the paper pattern. At both ends of the scarf, pin a circle on the center of the seam.
7. Edge stitch around the circles with black thread.
8. Flip the scarf over and pin the other two circles on top of the stitches made from the edge stitching.
9. Edge stitch the circles, catching the previous circles underneath.
10. Sew a circle that is 3/8" inside the edge stitching. Sew another circle that is 3/8" inside that circle. Continue to sew circles inside each other until you run out of space.
11. Cut between the sewn channels of all four circles with the little scissors or a slash cutter, being careful not to cut the silk sandwiched between.
12. Wash and dry in a dryer. Press with an iron and wear.
Soft Neck Roll Pillows
Create interest and add comfort at the same time by sewing soft neck roll pillows. Get the step-by-step instructions here.
Make a Fun Zipper Fruit Bowl
Put utilitarian zippers to a new, creative use by gluing them around wooden forms such as a bowl and fruit.
How to Make a 3-D Ceramic Art Block
Create a 3-D ceramic art block to hang on your wall using under glazes and a silkscreen design.
Dimensional Collage Frame
Pick out images from magazines to create this dimensional collage frame.
How to Make a Papier Mache Bowl With Leaves
Cover the back of a bowl with newspaper strips and spackle, and use paint and leaves to create a decorative piece.
Decorative Ceramic Clutch Vase
Learn how to mold a functional and creative ceramic rose clutch vase.
Photocopy Printmaking Collage
Create one-of-a-kind art pieces with a photocopy printmaking technique.
How to Create an Antique Renaissance Mirror
Transform an ordinary mirror into a renaissance art piece using decoupage and reproduction artwork.
How to Embellish a Felt Purse
Embellish a bag with brightly colored thread with these simple steps.
How to Make a Wool Felt Appliquéd Pillow Cover
Sew a wool felt pattern onto fabric to create a pillow cover.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.