How to Sew a Faux Chenille Scarf
Create a budget-friendly chenille scarf look-a-like from dupioni silk and black wool felt.
Materials and Tools:
1/2 yard tan dupioni silk
1/4 yard National Nonwovens black wool felt
5" paper circle pattern
Clover Slash Cutter (optional)
1. Cut one 45" x 12" piece and two 6" x 12" pieces of tan dupioni silk.
2. Use tan thread to sew the shorter pieces to each end of the longer piece with a 1/4" French seam.
3. Cut four 36" x 1/2" strips of black wool felt to go around the entire scarf.
4. Sew a strip to all four edges of the scarf, matching the edge of the strip to the edge of the scarf using a 1/4" seam allowance. When you run out of a strip, begin a new one about 1/4" over the end of the old strip.
5. Turn the felt to the other side, encasing the seam allowance in the dupioni and stitch in the ditch to hold in place. A quarter inch of black felt will peak out from this new bound edge.
6. Cut four 5" circles from black wool felt using the paper pattern. At both ends of the scarf, pin a circle on the center of the seam.
7. Edge stitch around the circles with black thread.
8. Flip the scarf over and pin the other two circles on top of the stitches made from the edge stitching.
9. Edge stitch the circles, catching the previous circles underneath.
10. Sew a circle that is 3/8" inside the edge stitching. Sew another circle that is 3/8" inside that circle. Continue to sew circles inside each other until you run out of space.
11. Cut between the sewn channels of all four circles with the little scissors or a slash cutter, being careful not to cut the silk sandwiched between.
12. Wash and dry in a dryer. Press with an iron and wear.
How to Sew a Quick Purse From Fabric Scraps
Transform scrap material into a quick and easy pattern-less fabric purse.
How to Sew a Beaded Bag
Instead of knitting this bag, sew yarn and fabric scraps onto stabilizer and embellish with beads.
How to Felt and Embroider a Clutch Purse
Needle felt a colorful silk-lined clutch using a 6- and 1-pronged felting needle.
How to Make a Fabric Picture Frame
Frame a favorite photo in a whimsical fabric art frame with these simple steps.
How to Make a Vintage Handbag
Use a boa and marabou trim to decorate this classically-styled purse.
How to Applique a Wool Felt Hat
Create a colorful, chic wool felt hat embellished with dog, bird, flower and star appliques.
How to Make an African Fabric Doll
Assemble a huggable doll using a brown dress sock, yarn and colorful African print fabric.
How to Make Custom Dog Clothing
Learn how to make simple and stylish custom pet clothing for all sizes.
Easy-Sew Ghostly Chair Slipcover
Use gauzy fabric and cheesecloth to give a traditional dining chair a ghostly silhouette for Halloween. With raw edges and a simple shape, this slipcover is a snap to make using basic sewing skills.
Make an Easy-to-Sew Lined Tote Bag
Custom tote bags can add to a fun personal fashion statement. Learn how to make a lined fabric tote bag that's perfect for work and play in this straightforward home sewing project for tweens, teens or anyone new to sewing.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada