How to Sew a Beaded Scarf Halter Top
Make a quick and easy halter top in just a few simple steps — starting with a scarf.
Materials and Tools:
sari fall fabric*
washer and dryer
iron and ironing board
flat back gold gem beads
*Sari fall fabric is a 5" wide band of fabric used to help a sari drape properly when worn.
1. Dye sari fall fabric to accentuate the bottom trim and the tie around the neck on the halter-top. Wash it on the delicate cycle in hot water with fabric dye according to package directions. Dry the fabric in the dryer on the perma-press cycle.
2. Fold the square scarf in half diagonally with wrong sides together to make a triangle and press with an iron.
3. Use the sewing machine to stitch the edges of the scarf together, forming a triangle, and press again.
4. Create a loop by folding the top of the triangle scarf over twice (about an inch) and press.
5. Stitch the edge of the top loop.
6. Cut a strip of the dyed sari fall fabric long enough to tie around your neck and feed it through the loop on the triangle.
7. Measure a piece of the dyed sari fall fabric long enough to fit around your waist and tie in the back. With right sides together, stitch it on the bottom of the triangle halter. The ties will extend beyond the end points of the scarf bottom.
8. Cut sequined trim the length of the bottom of the triangle. Stitch it onto the bottom of the halter covering the seam of the bottom band.
9. Using gem glue, embellish the front of the halter with flat backed gold beads. You may choose to create a pattern or follow the pattern on the fabric. Press down firmly. Let gem glue dry for 1 to 2 hours before wearing the halter top.
How to Sew a Beaded Bag
Instead of knitting this bag, sew yarn and fabric scraps onto stabilizer and embellish with beads.
How to Sew a Quick Purse From Fabric Scraps
Transform scrap material into a quick and easy pattern-less fabric purse.
How to Sew an Arashi Silk Cosmetic Bag
Make a cosmetic clutch using Arashi dyed silk and a serger for professional results.
How to Make a Vintage Handbag
Use a boa and marabou trim to decorate this classically-styled purse.
How to Applique a Wool Felt Hat
Create a colorful, chic wool felt hat embellished with dog, bird, flower and star appliques.
How to Make an African Fabric Doll
Assemble a huggable doll using a brown dress sock, yarn and colorful African print fabric.
No-Sew Fairy Wings
Learn how to craft these fairy wings for an upcoming costume party.
How to Make a Dyed Fabric Book Cover
Dress up a plain book, photo album or journal with a hand-dyed and beaded fabric cover.
How to Make Stamped Velvet Flower Accessories
Emboss velvet ribbon with your favorite stamp designs, and sew to create soft fabric flowers.
How to Make a Small Yarn Embellished Purse
Dress up a small purse with a special photo and a bundle of fluffy yarn.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada