How to Paint and Fuse a Glass Plaque
Use this technique plus your own drawing to create a decorative, hanging fused glass plaque.
Materials and Tools:
piece of white glass
piece of clear glass
glass grinding machine
high fire enamel glass paint
high fire wire
- Sketch the image and wording for your plaque.
- Measure and cut two pieces of glass: one white and one clear.
- Grind the edges.
- Clean the glass thoroughly removing all fingerprints and marks.
- Place the clear glass piece over the sketch. Attach a thin line paint nib to the bottle of high fire glass enamel. Squeeze the paint enamel onto the glass to outline the design.
- Fill the inside with desired colors. Let dry.
- Write a desired saying on the white glass, such as "Singin' those blue fin blues," with black enamel in a squeeze bottle with a fine line paint nib attached. Let dry.
- Cut two 3/4-inch pieces of high fire wire and twist them into loops.
- Stack the clear glass on top of the white glass piece.
- Glue the two loops to the top in between the two pieces of glass for hangers.
- Place the stacked glass pieces on kiln paper on a kiln shelf in the kiln.
- Fire slowly in the kiln.
- Remove the fused glass plaque after it has cooled completely.
- Tie a ribbon through the wire loops at the top and hang your new plaque.