How to Needle Felt a Miniature Seascape
Create tiny jewel-like pictures by needle felting colorful fleece fibers onto a solid wool background.
Materials and Tools:
solid or heathered wool or wool felt
1/2 cup of soda
embroidery hoop or foam pad
various colors of wool roving (brown, green, blue, yellow)
seed and bugle beads
beading needle and thread
mat and/or frame
- Wash the solid or heathered wool or wool felt in the washing machine with 1/2 cup of soda using hot water. Dry on high temperature to "felt" the fibers. The fabric will shrink considerably so start with a larger piece than you plan to use.
- Stretch background wool fabric onto an embroidery hoop or pin onto a thick piece of foam.
- Create a rough sketch on paper and use an air-soluble marker to mark main areas of color on background fabric.
- Pierce the surface repeatedly with the felting needle so the fleece fibers become embedded into the background fabric. Use the needle felting technique to pin down larger wool fleece shapes such as water and clouds. Add smaller details such as a sun and a thin sandbar.
- To make a palm tree, use a length of wool roving for the trunk. Felt in place along edges, carefully maintaining the dimensional quality of the roving.
- Create the palm fronds by splitting a piece of green roving at one end, leaving the other end intact. Felt in place, joining to trunk and leaving fronds free.
- If desired, use a longer piece of wool roving to felt a dimensional frame around outer edges of picture.
- Embellish sun and sea with miniature seed beads and bugle beads. Add novelty beads at base of palm fronds to simulate coconuts.
- Mat and frame your finished piece.
How to Make a Personalized Kid's Banner
Create a playful, painted canvas banner sure to inspire sweet dreams in a kid's bedroom.
How to Make a Beaded Leather Belt
Create a beaded leather belt with Western flair.
Add softness to a window or hide shower curtain rods with a lined topper.
How to Make a Stained Glass Paper Clip
Create a stylish office accessory with this easy-to-make paper clip project.
How to Make a Horsehair Wall Platter
Create a distinctive piece of pottery by embellishing it with horsehair strands.
How to Make a Rustic Tin Trinket Box
An ordinary mint tin seems like it's been around for ages with this aging technique.
Weave a Photo Journal Cover
Recycle colorful photos by arranging them into an easy basket weave cover.
Catnip Kitty Fortune Cookie
Using felt and simple sewing techniques, this quick feline project is a great solution to overpriced catnip toys.
Make Your Own Potpourri
DIY potpourri sachets help make a house a home through comforting scents.
Jute-Wrapped Pencil Holder
An empty can and bit of twine are all you need to create this handy pencil holder.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.