How to Make Star Twig Candle Frames
Line a walkway for the holidays with this beautiful design.
Materials and Tools:
12 pieces of 14-inch long willow rods 3/8- or ½-inch in diameter (available at landscape-supply stores)
hot-glue gun and glue
18-gauge copper wire
half-pint jelly jar
1. Glue three rods together to form a triangle. One rod will overlap another about ¾-inch from the end all the way around the triangle. Wrap all three connections with raffia and trim the ends.
2. Repeat to form a second triangle.
3. Lay the first triangle on top of the second to form a six-pointed star. Mark the six points where the top triangle touches the bottom one. Remove the top triangle and put hot glue on the marks. Put the top triangle back into position and tie all six connections with raffia as above.
4. Make two more triangles as above, but glue and wrap only two ends so the third is left open. Insert one open-ended triangle into the center of the six-sided star so they're perpendicular.
5. Glue the ends of the open triangle to the bottom of the six-sided star. Mark, glue and wrap all new connections. Repeat with the other open-ended triangle, but insert it in the opposite direction so it's also perpendicular to the six-sided star, and secure it at the top. Mark, glue and wrap all new connections.
6. Braid three pieces of 16-inch raffia together. Form a 2½-inch loop from the braid and tie to the top of the star as a hanger.
7. Cut two 12-inch pieces of wire and use pliers to form a ½-inch loop at one end of each. Place one end of a wire in the loop of the second wire and then put the end of the second wire into the loop of the first to form a circle.
8. Place the circle of wire around the mouth of the jelly jar and pull the wires tight. Bend the wires straight up and form loops at the ends to hang on the center crosspiece of the twig star. Make sure both hooks are even so the jar hangs level.
9. Place a votive in the jar. Hang the star from the shepherd's hook and light the candle.
Stick Up a Hanukkah Garland
Turn plain popsicle sticks into a festive Hanukkah garland with these step-by-step instructions.
How to Create a Snowy Candle Centerpiece
Create a simple, elegant and frosty candle centerpiece with champagne flutes, crystal garland and glass balls to illuminate your winter table.
How to Make an Ornate Framed Chalkboard
Elegant meets humble when a sophisticated gilt frame surrounds an inexpensive DIY chalkboard. Place it in the dining room with a thoughtful greeting for holiday guests, or use it to announce the dinner menu or evening's festivities.
How to Make Wine Bottle Candelabras
Add ambiance to your entryway this holiday season using only repurposed wine bottles, black spray paint and tapered candles to create glowing candelabras.
Mother's Day Kids' Craft: Fingerprint Frames
The kids will have a great time making these one-of-a-kind keepsake frames that Mom will love, especially when a favorite photo is included.
How to Create a Window Frame Photo Collage
Design consultant Abraham Hopkins shows how to turn a reclaimed window frame into a family photo collage.
3 Do-It-Yourself Candle Stacks
Craft a heart- and hamburger-shaped candle, or embellish tapers with sheets of colored wax.
How to Make Santa's Suit Votive Candles
The simple, graphic charm of these votives adds a cheery touch to mantles or table centerpieces. They would also be lovely holiday party favors, and they're easy enough for kids to do themselves. Follow these steps by Mary Lynn Maloney.
How to Make a Cappuccino-Scented Candle
Make a coffee mug-themed candle with a cappuccino brulee scent with these simple steps.
Make a Hanukkah Menorah
Try wire, clay or bottle caps for materials and fashion a homemade menorah.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.