How to Make Silk Fusion Paper Bowls
Make a decorative bowl out of silk fusion, which is paper made from silk.
Materials and Tools:
2 window screens
silk tops (unspun silk fibers)
silk dyes (instant or heat-set)
2 wide flat brushes
wine bottle or other tall item
plastic drop cloth
beads for embellishing
1. Lay out one piece of screen and then begin laying pieces of silk on the screen in one direction (gently pulling short pieces). Layer another in the opposite direction. Cover with second piece of screen.
2. Cover your bowl form with plastic wrap and place upside down on wine bottle or other item to keep the bowl off the table.
3. Wet the fibers on front and back with wide flat brush using dish soap mixed into a bowl of water. Press with palm of hands to saturate both sides. Mop up any excess water with paper towels.
4. Apply dyes in any creative fashion to both front and back of piece. Mop up any excess with paper towels.
5. Pour fabric stiffener into a small bowl and dilute slightly with water to make it easier to brush on. Use a different flat wide brush and apply to both sides of the piece. Directly press with paper towels on both sides to soak up excess moisture.
6. Spray both sides with flame retardant spray. Gently peel off top screen and set aside.
7. Starting with one corner of the paper, peel off of the screen. Pick up with both hands and place on plastic-covered bowl. Eyeball the paper, if necessary making adjustments so that it is even. Manipulate the sides until the shape is pleasing to you. Allow to dry overnight.
8. Carefully pull bowl from out of the paper bowl. Enjoy as-is, embellish with metallic paints or sew on beads in a decorative fashion.
How to Make a Mosaic Stained Glass Portrait
Attach stained glass pieces to adhesive paper placed over a photo to create a mosaic glass portrait.
How to Make a Sunflower Wall Hanging
Use wood and stained glass to create a sunflower wall hanging.
How to Make a Textured Flower Quilt
Use creative tucks and other techniques to create a textured flower quilt.
Crayon-Resist Journal Cover
This journal cover is made from fabric textured with crayons and dye.
How to Make a Rusted Paper Book Cover
Rust on paper? It's possible with this book cover project by first rusting a piece of steel and then applying paper to the rust.
How to Make Black Metal Flower Jewelry
Put a modern twist on daisies with this sophisticated black metal jewelry set.
How to Make an Aluminum Journal Cover
Make a journal cover with aluminum tape for an elegant look.
Fused Glass Flower Magnet
Kate Gadd fuses green, blue and opal-orange glass together to create a flower magnet.
How to Make Dichroic Glass and Enamel Earrings
Make a playful yet well-crafted pair of earrings using multi-colored dichroic glass, accent beads and gold-filled wire.
How to Make Mosaic Stained Glass Art
Make an easy stained glass art piece using colored glass, a glass cutter and grout.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.