How to Make Nested Origami Boxes
Create these nesting gift boxes using card stock, iridescent paint and origami techniques.
Materials and Tools:
Perfect Ink Refresher
Perfect Pearls: kiwi, gold, turquoise, berry twist, rust
Perfect Medium: clear
Ice Stickles glitter glue: crystal
3 sheets 12" x 12" black card stock
3 sheets 12" x 12" card stock for box bottoms: blue, rose, apple green
fine-mist spray bottle
4 decorative 18" ribbons
1. To make the Northern Lights paper: Squirt the black paper with Perfect Ink Refresher and lightly rub the oils into the paper with a cosmetic sponge.
2. Mix four or five Perfect Pearls colors with water to form a creamy paint.
3. Quickly paint some uneven stripes of color over the page and spritz with water. Be generous with the water, then manipulate the page and watch the paints run and blend.
4. When the colors have settled to where you like them, allow to completely dry and then press flat with a hot iron.
5. To make textured stone paper: Do steps 1 to 3 of the Northern Lights process above, and while the paper is quite wet, crumble a paper towel and lightly tap the "furrows and veins" out of the paint. Allow to completely dry and press flat.
6. To make glitter paper: Do steps 1 to 4 of the Northern Lights process. Then squirt Ice Stickles glitter glue over the paper and buff the glue over the surface with a paper towel. Allow to dry.
7. Use these papers for the box tops of the three origami folded boxes. Folding instructions for the boxes are included in this downloadable, printable PDF. Follow the instructions to fold the boxes.
8. After making the boxes, cut two slits along the bottom side edges of the largest box. Insert the ribbon from the bottom into the inside. Do this to the middle box the same way.
9. Cut the slits on the smallest box, but insert this ribbon from the inside so it comes out on the outside bottom.
10. To stack: Put the smallest box together and tie the ribbon on the top.
11. Place this box inside the middle box, put the lid on the middle box and tie this box with the ribbon attached to the largest box.
12. Put the lid on the largest box. Make a card stock panel the same size as the largest box bottom and glue on the bottom, hiding the ribbon. Use one more ribbon to tie up the outer box.
Liven Up Your Walls with a Color Wash
Faux painting techniques energize a room with color and texture and can change the look of a room from drab to dynamic.
How to Give Furniture a Faux Finish
Create custom "antique" furniture with paint and wax.
How to Create a Tuscan Bath Retreat
Tips on how to add an Old World feel to a bathroom.
Block Print Box Purse
Vani Sodhi Gundara's block-print purse designs are inspired by her Indian culture.
How to Create a Faux Stone Tabletop
Finish concrete slabs or pavers with several colors of stain to create a faux stone tabletop.
How To: Creating a Faux Pueblo Wall
Follow these tips for creating a faux stone look on a wall.
How to Create a Faux Rug With Paint
Learn how to dress up a floor with a painted rug.
How to Give a Laminate Countertop a Faux Marble Finish
Apply a layer of elegance to your laminate countertop with these step-by-step instructions.
Make a Marbled Fabric Pillow Cover
Create a fabric in the exact colors to match your decor with this trendy marbled fabric pillow case project.
Step-by-Step: Faux Molding
Create faux molding with this how-to from HGTV Magazine and DIY blogger Typhanie Peterson.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada