How to Make an Iron Letter Opener
Use a propane torch to weld iron into a starfish-inspired letter opener.
Materials and Tools:
5 medium-size horseshoe nails
1 very large horseshoe nail
brass and copper flux-coated rod
torch with oxy propane setup
leather welding gloves
jewelry grinder and wheels: wire, steel, buffing wheels, diamond grit wheels
bucket of water
3. Wearing safety glasses and leather welding gloves, light the oxy propane torch. Heat the iron to the red-hot stage and melt the brass and copper rod onto the iron while sealing the pieces together. Use melted brass to decorate the iron surface as desired. Allow to cool, or immerse in a bucket of water.
4. Remove fire scale with a jewelry grinder with a steel wire wheel attached.
5. Sculpt and facet the surface of the iron with the diamond grit wheel. Sharpen the tip of the large nail with the wheel to create a pointed edge for opening mail.
6. Remove any remaining fire scrape or dust with the polish wheel and white diamond polish. Polish with a cloth.
7. Finish with metal lacquer and let dry.
How to Make a Sunflower Wall Hanging
Use wood and stained glass to create a sunflower wall hanging.
How to Make a Mosaic Stained Glass Portrait
Attach stained glass pieces to adhesive paper placed over a photo to create a mosaic glass portrait.
How to Sculpt a Ceramic Pear
This realistic ceramic pear project features rich glaze highlights.
How to Weave a Decorative Copper Wire Basket
Weave copper wire into a decorative basket embellished with polymer clay beads.
How to Make an Etched Copper Bowl
Etch a eucalyptus-leaf sgraffito design into a copper bowl for a unique piece of pottery.
How to Make an Etched Ceramic Vase
Etch a creative design in a ceramic vase to match any style room.
Mosaic and Foam Memory Quilt
Not a quilter? No problem! This memory quilt uses a foam base and mosaic tiles to create a quilt that's sewing free.
How to Make a Clay Garden Sphere
Create a unique piece of outdoor art with speckled stoneware clay and clay-carving tools
How to Make Stitch-and-Gather Ribbon Flowers
This U-gather technique allows you to make several different ribbon flowers such as roses, violets, pansies and poppies.
Four Wrapped Paper Projects
In this project, James Bertelson makes delightful wrapped-paper items from Japanese handmade papers, including a wrapped cigar box, accordion book, matchbox and greeting card.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.