How to Make an Iron Letter Opener
Materials and Tools:
5 medium-size horseshoe nails
1 very large horseshoe nail
brass and copper flux-coated rod
torch with oxy propane setup
leather welding gloves
jewelry grinder and wheels: wire, steel, buffing wheels, diamond grit wheels
bucket of water
3. Wearing safety glasses and leather welding gloves, light the oxy propane torch. Heat the iron to the red-hot stage and melt the brass and copper rod onto the iron while sealing the pieces together. Use melted brass to decorate the iron surface as desired. Allow to cool, or immerse in a bucket of water.
4. Remove fire scale with a jewelry grinder with a steel wire wheel attached.
5. Sculpt and facet the surface of the iron with the diamond grit wheel. Sharpen the tip of the large nail with the wheel to create a pointed edge for opening mail.
6. Remove any remaining fire scrape or dust with the polish wheel and white diamond polish. Polish with a cloth.
7. Finish with metal lacquer and let dry.