How to Make an Asian-Inspired Water Fountain
Add harmony to any room of your house with the calming sound of water from this do-it-yourself fountain.
Materials and Tools:
submersible fountain pump (or aquarium pump)
5" diameter round, glazed ceramic bowl
13" square, glazed ceramic platter base
8" square plate
2-1/2" round salt shaker
5 H-clips (plywood spacers)
pebbles or marbles for filler
small potted plants (optional)
epoxy glue for sealant
1/16" diamond bit
silicon carbide grinding stone bit
1. Drill a 3/8-inch hole into the center bottom of the 5-inch bowl.
2. Glue five H-clips around the lip of the bowl with epoxy. This will lift the bowl off the base enough so that water can circulate underneath.
3. Drill a 3/8-inch hole into the center of the 8-inch plate.
4. Glue the plate on the inverted bowl base, aligning holes.
5. Thread tubing through the bowl's housing and plate center holes.
6. Arrange the pump in the bowl housing. Trim the lower end of the tubing to fit on the pump. Detach tubing from pump.
7. Glue salt shaker over top end of tubing on the top plate.
8. Arrange pump in the center (deepest) portion of the bottom platter.
9. Attach tubing to pump and place housing bowl over pump.
10. Fill platter with water.
11. Arrange rocks around plate and around bowl in platter.
12. Arrange potted plants on rocks if desired.
13. Plug in pump and adjust water force if necessary.