How to Make a Vintage Souvenir Travel Scarf Purse
Turn a vintage scarf into a traveling tote featuring a beaded fabric flower.
Materials and Tools:
vintage souvenir travel scarf
square paper pattern
fabric (for flower petals)
metal stud or button (for middle of flower)
glass beads, large and small
pencil with eraser tip
woven polyester or cotton webbing material
wide satin ribbon
invisible thread or fishing line (monofilament)
- Cut square pattern from paper; use the size of the scarf (or the portion that you want to feature) to determine how large your square pattern should be.
- Pin pattern to scarf and cut front, back, sides and bottom of purse
- Pin pattern to lining and interfacing and cut front, back, sides and bottom of purse.
- 4. Hand sew beads to the front of the bag, complementing the scarf's graphics and visuals.
- 5. Write with pen travel slogans or quotes from songs that relate to the theme of the bag.
- 6. Embroider over the writing with black embroidery floss.
- 7. Create fabric flower petals: Cut a petal from fabric and machine zigzag edges of petals to prevent fraying. Sew petals together with invisible thread to create a flower.
- 8. Hand sew completed flower to purse face and add beads to petals, which will anchor flower to purse.
- 9. Insert a large metal stud in the middle of the flower. Use a blade and gently slice two slits for the stud to fit through. Close stud by pushing down with a pencil eraser. You could also glue a button here.
- 10. To create felt monkey: Cut monkey out of brown felt. Embroider face and body of monkey with easy embroidery stitches and use black beads for eyes.
- 11. Sew the monkey onto flower on front of bag so it looks like the monkey is hanging off of the flower; visualize a monkey swinging from a vine. (Your felt addition does not have to be a monkey, but should reflect the theme of your scarf.)
- 12. Interface all pieces of bag. Sew front, sides and back of bag together. Sew the lining the same way.
- 13. Clip seams of all of the pieces and insert lining into bag. Pin purse and lining together.
- 14. Cut tote material handles and cover with black satin. Zigzag edges of black satin with the sewing machine.
- 15. Sew the tote handles to the outside of the front and back of the tote bag using invisible thread.
- 16. String big glass beads where the handles meet the bag.
- 17. Sew bag together to close the outside and bag lining.