How to Make a Textured Rope Ceramic Vase
Create a distinctive piece of pottery with a cotton or hemp rope pattern.
Materials and Tools:
8-pound ball of clay
3- to 4-inch piece of cotton or hemp rope
haki or watercolor brush
bucket of water
1. Wedge an 8-pound ball of clay using the spiral technique, rolling it on the work surface in a circular fashion to remove the air and condition the clay.
3. Make the initial pulls, applying pressure from the outside against fingers on the inside to gain height.
4. Establish the form, including the lip.
5. Form the foot with care and attention to detail.
7. Roll a 3-inch-long piece of cotton or hemp rope along the exterior of the vase between the guidelines with your fingers. Note: Poly and nylon rope won't work, because the clay won't release.
9. Allow the vase to dry for two to three hours.
10. Impress vertical lines into the design in an alternating pattern, using a wooden straightedge.
12. Allow to dry three to four days to the bone-dry stage.
14. Apply celadon glaze to the interior of the vase for contrast with the exterior and ease in cleaning during practical use. Pour glaze into the vase and then out of the vase using a controlled rotation of the piece.
16. Unload the vase after a 24-hour cooling period.
Traditional Magnolia Wreath
Add a happy pop of color to your front door with this charming and easy-to-create floral wreath.
Use Nail Polish to Create Marbled Votives
This simple and quick technique will have you wanting to marble everything you own! Combine a few drops of nail polish with water to create these colorful candleholders, just in time for your summer celebrations.
Expressive Box Wall Hanging
Marie Weichman embellishes this clay box wall hanging with objects that reflect her creativity.
Tea-Stained Lace Curtains
Revitalizing old or discolored lace curtains with a tea stain gives them an appealing antique look.
How to Make a Ceramic Garden Sculpture
Sculpt facial features and flowers from clay to create a whimsical work of garden art.
How to Make a Lollipop Garden Sculpture
Recycle plastic lids to make this whimsical piece of outdoor art.
How to Make a Graphic Coaster Gocco Print
Create your own coasters and print professional images using a Gocco printer.
How to Make a Ceramic Teacup
Trace a pattern onto clay and etch it to create decorative pottery.
Easy-to-Make Gourd Candles
Create festive fall candles using winter squash as a mold.
DIY for Kids: Candy Wrapper Lamp Shade
Create this fun project with your child from the first ever HGTV Magazine for kids.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.