How to Make a Stained Glass Paper Clip
Create a stylish office accessory with this easy-to-make paper clip project.
Materials and Tools:
copper foil tape
oversize paper clip
soldering iron and solder
glass enamel paint
electric grinding machine
1. Draw a hibiscus flower pattern on paper. Scan it into the computer and print it out on adhesive-backed paper. Print out another copy of the design on regular paper for a guide.
2. Number the petals and cut them out individually.
4. Score the glass around each petal with a glass scorer and break the glass with glass-breaking pliers. Place the petals on the paper guide.
5. Wearing safety glasses, grind the edges of each petal with an electric glass grinder.
6. Remove the adhesive-backed paper from each petal. Clean the petals with glass cleaner and a towel.
8. Place the petals on the paper guide. Solder the petals together, using solder and a soldering iron. Lift the petals while soldering to give the flower dimension.
9. String beads on a short piece of wire for the flower stamen. Curl the wire at both ends with needle-nose pliers to secure the beads.
10. Apply flux and solder one end of the wire to the center of the flower.
12. Apply flux to the copper foil and solder the back of the flower to the end of the paper clip.
13. Highlight the petals with brush strokes of pink paint, moving from the center outward. Let the paint dry.