How to Make a Clay-Figure Christmas Pen
Materials and Tools:
3 oz. Kato Polyclay: white, black, green, red, gold, orange
pasta machine or acrylic roller
two 2mm smoke black micro marbles
2 wooden skewers
ceramic coffee cup for propping
circle template, optional
1. Condition clay according to manufacturer's instructions. Break the two wooden skewers in half. You will only be using the pointed end of each skewer.
2. To make the snowman body, roll three 11/16-inch balls of white. Press skewer through the center of one ball and again from the opposite end to make the hole. Set the skewer into a coffee cup to prop.
3. For buttons, flatten two 1/8-inch balls of green and press onto the second white ball. Use the blunt end of a paintbrush to indent each button. Then use a toothpick to make two holes in each button.
4. Press skewer through the top of the ball and again from the opposite end to make the hole. Place this ball on top of the first ball.
5. To make the head, take the last white ball and press the black micro marbles into the head to make the eyes. Use a toothpick to make two squint lines by each eye. For the nose, flatten a 1/8-inch ball of orange into an oval and press below the eyes. For the mouth, use a toothpick to make holes into the shape of a smile. Then use a cotton swab to blush the cheeks. Press the skewer through the center of the head and again from the opposite end the make the hole.
6. Place the head on top of the second ball.
7. For the hat brim, flatten a 7/16-inch ball of black into a 3/4-inch-wide circle. Roll a 5/8-inch ball of black into a 5/8-inch-long cylinder. Use your fingers to pinch both sides of one end of the cylinder. Press onto the brim.
8. For the red trim, flatten a small sheet of red through the pasta machine at a #4 setting (3/64 inch). Use a NuBlade to cut a 5/32-inch-wide strip. Press this strip around the base of the hat and cut off the excess. Roll eleven 1/16-inch balls of gold and press onto the trim of the hat.
9. To make the holly and berries, flatten two 5/32-inch balls of green into teardrops. Use a toothpick to draw veins in each holly leaf and press onto the hat. For the berries, roll three 3/32-inch balls of red and press onto the center of the leaves.
10. Press the skewer through the center of the hat and again from the opposite end the make the hole. Place the hat onto the top of the head. Make sure that the four beads are not longer that the non-grooved barrel of the pen.
11. Bake beads in the ceramic coffee cup in a preheated 265 F degree oven for 30 minutes and let cool.
12. Unscrew top of bead pen and place the beads on the barrel and screw the top back on.