How to Make a Skiing Penguin Ornament
This adorable penguin ornament is made from a toilet paper roll. Follow these instructions by Helen L. Rafson to make your own ornament.
Materials and Tools:
recycled toilet paper roll
acrylic paint: black, yellow/orange, silver
Loew-Cornell American Painter #4300 shader 10 and 6 brushes
small wooden heart
card stock: black, red, white, yellow/orange
McGill giant heart punch #91200
red and black checked fabric
1" white pompom
Beacon Adhesive Kid's Choice Glue!
2 moveable 10mm eyes
2 craft sticks
cord or thread for hanger
1. With shader 10 brush, paint toilet paper roll with black paint. Let dry.
2. With shader 6, paint wooden heart (beak) with two coats of yellow/orange paint, letting paint dry between coats.
3. With shader 6, paint craft sticks (skis) with two coats of silver paint, letting paint dry between coats.
4. Trace patterns in the PDF Patterns file (below the image, above right) and cut out. Trace patterns onto card stock and cut out.
5. With heart punch, punch two hearts (feet) from yellow/orange card stock.
6. Cut a 3-1/2" x 6" piece of checked fabric for the hat. Cut a 7/8" x 13" piece of fabric with pinking shears for the scarf.
7. For the hat: Cut one long end of the hat fabric with pinking shears. With right sides facing, fold fabric in half with pinked edge at bottom (3" x 3-1/2"). Pin side seam and sew a 1/4-inch seam by hand. Sew a running stitch 1/4 inch from top. Do not knot end. Pull thread tightly to gather fabric. Knot end.
8. Turn fabric inside out. Fold back pinked edge to make a cuff. Glue pompom to top of hat. Let dry.
9. Put hat onto toilet paper roll and glue into place.
10. Glue eyes and beak onto toilet paper roll as seen in photograph. Let dry.
11. Glue mittens onto ends of wings. Let dry. Glue belly and wings onto penguin and let dry. Glue feet onto bottom of penguin. Let dry.
12. Wrap scarf around penguin's neck and tie into a knot as seen in photograph.
13. Glue penguin on top of skis and let dry.
14. Attach hanger as desired to use as an ornament.
How to Make a Halloween Sock Skeleton
Use a sock monkey idea to make a spookier but still cuddly skeleton.
Make Your Own Takeout Box Advent Calendar
This Christmas advent calendar is not only fun and easy to make, but it will also create a family tradition that your kids will remember for years to come.
How to Make Cookie-Cutter Christmas Ornaments
Looking for an easy way to trim the tree? Create beautiful handmade Christmas ornaments out of metal cookie cutters and pretty paper.
Homemade S'mores Kit
Create fun s'mores kits with made-from-scratch ingredients as a tasty handmade gift for friends and family.
How to Make a Holiday Window Box
Bring colorful touches of Christmas to your windows with clever window box planter upgrades.
How to Make Christmas Gift Box Mantel Decor
Looking for a fun and festive way to spruce up your fireplace mantel this Christmas? An assortment of fabric-wrapped gift boxes will definitely do the trick!
Halloween Makeup Tutorial: Butterfly
Transform your child or yourself into a beautiful butterfly for Halloween this year. Our step-by-step instructions make it easy to create this fun look in less than 30 minutes.
Halloween Makeup Tutorial: Cat
Bring out your animal side with a Broadway-stage-worthy Halloween cat makeup look that only takes 30 minutes to create.
Adult Halloween Makeup Tutorial: Creepy Ragdoll
Go disguised as a ragdoll this Halloween. Our easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions will show you how to totally transform your look with makeup.
Halloween Makeup Tutorial: Pirate
This weathered Caribbean pirate look is easy to achieve in less than 30 minutes using basic makeup and a few specialty items from the costume shop.
Sign up for the HGTV Inspiration Newsletter.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.