How to Make a Sassy Girl Mosaic Wall Hanging
Tap into your inner Sassy Girl with this mosaic wall hanging made from tiles, grout, paint and wood.
Materials and Tools:
ceramic tile adhesive
ceramic tiles in various colors and patterns
6" x 6" bisque tile
low-fire clay glazes: pink, rose, green, black, white
acrylic paints for painting the back
dark colored grout
- Sponge paint the pink background color for the face on a 6" x 6" bisque tile. Let dry. Paint a sassy girl face and name on the 6" x 6" bisque tile with low fire clay glazes. Paint the outline of the face in black; the eyes green and the lips and cheeks rose.
- Fire the painted bisque tile in a kiln. Follow manufacturer's instructions for firing temperature and duration on the glaze bottles. Tip: If you do not have a kiln, contact local colleges and/or local craft stores to see if they will fire the tiles for you.
- Sketch the caricature onto a 6' x 2' piece of wood.
- Use a hammer and tile cutters to break the face tile and the name tile into desired shape and size. Break various colored and patterned ceramic tiles into pieces to be used in the mosaic by placing them on a towel and hitting them with a hammer.
- Glue tiles into place on the board, following the sketch, using a ceramic tile adhesive. Fill in the background with mosaic tiles.
- Once glue has dried, grout the mosaic. Wearing rubber gloves and a protective dust mask, mix the water slowly to produce a peanut butter-like consistency. Tip: Premixed grout is also available.
- Use a sponge to fill the grout into all open spaces. Wipe the tops of the tiles clean with a wet sponge. Let grout completely dry.
- Apply a grout sealant with a sponge. Wipe clean.
- Turn the mosaic "Sassy Girl" over. Clean and paint the back.
- Hammer nails approximately three inches from the top on either side and attach a hanger wire.
Tiffany Miller, Los Angeles, Calif.
How to Build a Fabric Hanger
Step-by-step instructions for making a simple rack for quilts and linens
Step-by-step instructions for making these colorful accents.
Learn how to make a steel dragonfly ornament that's perfect for dressing up any corner of the home.
Build a Brass and Aluminum Wall Hanging
Assemble and display this geometric-shaped metal wall hanging using basic metalworking techniques.
Funky Lazy Susan
Put your own creative spin on this kitchen convenience.
Collaged Box Clock
Brenda Marks attaches bee charms as clock hands to her collaged box clock.
How to Make a Flower-Shaped Teaspoon Rest
Display a teaspoon on a flower-shaped clay rest.
How to Make a Graphic Coaster Gocco Print
Create your own coasters and print professional images using a Gocco printer.
Handmade Mosaic Tile Backsplash
Design a colorful mosaic tile backsplash to add a bit of flair to your kitchen.
How to Make a Wire Bookmark
Bend and shape wire into a flower pattern to create a stylish bookmark.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.