How to Make a Rustic Tin Trinket Box
An ordinary mint tin seems like it's been around for ages with this aging technique.
Materials and Tools:
sander or sandpaper
two-part rusting medium
3" x 5" laminate sheet
black and white image
tray of water
cordless drill with 1/16" drill bit
1. Remove labels and sand the exterior surface of the mint tin. Wipe off loose particles with a cloth.
2. Rust the tin using a two-part rusting agent according to manufacturer's directions.
3. Seal with aging varnish and let dry.
4. Create a cold laminate transfer by placing a black and white laser copy of an image face down onto the sticky side of a laminate sheet and burnishing the back with a spoon.
5. Dip the transfer in a tray of water and rub the back side with fingers until all the white paper is removed. Dry the transfer.
6. Cut the transfer to the exact size of the tin top and adhere it with clear glue.
7. Drill a single hole in the front side of the tin with a 1/16-inch bit.
8. Assemble a decorative knob using a bead and T-pin. Poke the T-pin into the bead and then insert the T-pin into the hole from the outside in.
9. Cut the excess T-pin wire leaving about 1/2 inch remaining.
10. Curl the wire tail into a loop using round-nose pliers on the inside of the box.
How to Felt a Wool Hummingbird
Make a lifelike wool hummingbird by dyeing your own wool fibers.
Felted Fabric Art
Make art-like felted creations using colorful wool roving.
How to Make a Lauhala Hat
Weave a distinctive look with pandanus leaves to create a perfect beach hat.
How to Make a Vintage Souvenir Travel Scarf Purse
Turn a vintage scarf into a traveling tote featuring a beaded fabric flower.
Catnip Kitty Fortune Cookie
Using felt and simple sewing techniques, this quick feline project is a great solution to overpriced catnip toys.
Jute-Wrapped Pencil Holder
An empty can and bit of twine are all you need to create this handy pencil holder.
Make Your Own Potpourri
DIY potpourri sachets help make a house a home through comforting scents.
How to Make a Beaded Leather Belt
Create a beaded leather belt with Western flair.
Weave a Photo Journal Cover
Recycle colorful photos by arranging them into an easy basket weave cover.
Add softness to a window or hide shower curtain rods with a lined topper.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.