How to Make a Recycled Metal Fish Sculpture
Turn an old car hood into a fish sculpture with simple welding techniques.
Materials and Tools:
wire feed welder
old car hood
metal cleaner and soft cloth
wire bracket for hanging
spray clear coat
welding safety equipment: welder's mask, safety glasses, respirator and leather gloves
- Clean an old car hood with metal cleaner and a soft cloth.
- Draw a freehand design of a fish on the metal hood using a permanent marker. Draw the front fin separately.
- Wearing welding safety equipment, cut out the fish and the front fin with a plasma cutter.
- Grind the edges of the fish and the fins with a grinder to remove the paint.
- Cut slits in the top and bottom fins of the metal fish.
- Cut all the facial features of the metal fish with the plasma cutter.
- Weld the fin on the front of the metal fish and the wire hanger bracket onto the back side.
- Melt a marble with a torch and weld it in for the eye.
- After the metal fish sculpture cools burnish it with a torch for detail.
- Sign the metal fish sculpture with the plasma cutter. Spray with clear coat in a well-ventilated area.