How to Make a Purse-Shaped Clay Teapot
Use porcelain clay to sculpt a stylish teapot.
Materials and Tools:
small loop tool
bowl of water
1. Roll out porcelain clay until it's about 1/8-inch thick. Let it sit flat on a table or board until it's leather-hard.
2. Cut out a purse pattern freehand, starting with the single bottom and side piece that wraps up to the top.
4. Score the edges of the pieces with a pin tool, and use slip to stick the front and back purse pieces together. Press a small coil of porcelain into the edges of the interior of the purse pot to add strength to the seams.
5. Squirt the teapot with water and cover it with plastic. Let it sit overnight so the moisture of the pot can even out over the whole piece.
7. Pull a handle to fit the style of the pot. Leave the pieces out to dry leather-hard.
8. Smooth the surface of the teapot, and straighten any seams with a metal rib.
9. Carve seam lines and stitch-work details with a small loop tool.
11. Attach porcelain balls to the lid to create the appearance of a purse clasp.
12. Once the spout and handle are firm, attach them to the teapot.
13. Carve a plaid design with a small loop tool onto the surface of the teapot. Allow the teapot to dry.
14. Fire the teapot in the kiln, following the clay manufacturer's instructions.
15. Glaze the teapot. Add layers of glaze to the plaid design and stitching to make them stand out. Fire the teapot in the kiln again.
How to Make a Glazed Wall Plate
Decorate your walls with plates that shimmer with a crystalline ceramic glazing technique.
How to Make an Ornate Ceramic Platter
Create intricate details with carving tools, dye and your bare hands to make an ornate ceramic platter.
How to Make a Beaded Ceramic Cake Stand
Decorate and embellish a ceramic cake stand to make a one-of-a-kind look.
How to Make a Primitive Platter
Meg Spielman Peldo makes a ceramic platter, breaks it, then reassembles it to create this work of art.
How to Make a Ceramic Teapot
Make a shapely ceramic teapot with these simple steps.
How to Make a Clay Garden Sphere
Create a unique piece of outdoor art with speckled stoneware clay and clay-carving tools
How to Make a Clothesline Motif Teapot
Etch a clothesline motif in a clay teapot to create a whimsical design.
How to Make Tie-Dyed Plates
Paint clear glass to create unique dinnerware.
How to Make a Creative Squiggle Glass Platter
Fuse and slump glass in a kiln to create this unique glass platter filled with quirky glass shapes.
How to Make a Slumped Glass Wavy Bowl
Fuse a floral design onto a vibrant red slumped bowl that's as functional as it is beautiful.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.