How to Make a Pumpkin Ponytail Holder
A glass artist shows how to create this glow-in-the-dark craft for a perfect Halloween hair accessory.
Jenn Frangi draws a spooky pumpkin on glass and demonstrates how to make this ponytail holder.
Materials and Tools:
oil reservoir glass cutter
Morton board and cutting system
sheet metal (sliver)
tin snips or jeweler's saw
Bullseye orange opaque glass
Glassline white paint
glow-in-the-dark powder for lampworking
elastic ponytail holder
kiln fire paper
1. Cut a 1" x 1-1/2" piece of clear and orange glass using a glass scoring tool and running pliers.
2. Wearing a respirator, place some white glow-in-the-dark powder on the orange glass, and use your finger to move it in a circle to create the white outline for the pumpkin.
3. Place the clear glass on top of the powder-covered orange glass piece. Paint a pumpkin on the clear glass with black paint. Let dry.
4. Place the stacked glass pieces on fire paper in the kiln.
5. Full-fuse fire the spooky pumpkin piece in the kiln for three hours. Let cool.
6. Cut out the metal bracket from the sheet metal and file any rough edges.
7. Bend this metal piece over the rubber band ponytail holder and press with pliers.
8. Glue the spooky pumpkin glass piece to the metal bracket using strong commercial clear adhesive. Let dry.
How to Make a Halloween Platter
Animate a holiday platter with spooky ghosts.
How to Make a Silhouette Pumpkin
Bring sophistication to your Halloween decor by embellishing a pumpkin with a trendy black-and-white silhouette.
How to Make a Lettered Pumpkin
Give a humble pumpkin sophisticated style by painting it to resemble an antique European grain sack.
How to Make a Halloween Applique Pillow
This oh-so-cute felt pillow requires basic sewing skills and will bring a handmade touch to your Halloween decor.
How to Make a Pretty Fretwork Pumpkin
Looking for a new pumpkin-carving technique? Requiring just two different-sized drill bits, this sculptural and intricate design is easier to create than you may think.
How to Make Peekaboo Pumpkins
Create a spooktacular vignette of peeking pumpkins using miniature gourds and a variety of inexpensive bowls and lidded dishes.
How to Make a Paint Chip Pumpkin Garland
Paint chips are the perfect material for this DIY Halloween decorating project. The different shades of orange and yellow mimic the hue variation seen in actual gourds.
How to Make a Candy Corn Pinata for Halloween
Halloween swings into action with this candy corn piñata. Party guests large and small will enjoy taking a shot at this treat-filled decoration.
How to Make a Monogrammed Pumpkin
Add a sophisticated, personalized touch to your Halloween decor with an easy-to-create monogrammed pumpkin.
How to Make Glittered Pumpkins
Shake up your Halloween decor with these colorful glittered pumpkins. A great project for kids, creating these sparkling pumpkins is quick, easy and fun. Plus, since the pumpkins remain whole, they'll last much longer than carved ones.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.