How to Make a Mosaic Picture Frame
Create a night sky mosaic picture frame from recycled glass pieces.
Materials and Tools:
glass wheel snips
glass scoring tool
white acrylic paint
bucket of water
1. Wear safety glasses. Score around a blue glass bottle, with a glass-scoring tool, just below the neck. Tap the bottle with the tool to break it at the scored line.
2. Cut mosaic pieces from the bottle using glass wheel nippers. Work over a cardboard box to catch the glass mosaic pieces.
3. Cut mosaic pieces from a mirror.
4. Tumble glass mosaic tiles (pieces) in a rock tumbler for about 20 minutes to remove sharp edges.
5. Paint a picture frame with white acrylic paint. Let dry.
6. Glue the blue glass pieces to the frame with modeling glue. Glue mirror mosaic pieces to the frame in the shape of stars in the upper left and lower right corners. Let dry.
7. Attach masking tape to protect areas of frame that aren't going to be grouted, including the center opening and around the perimeter of the frame.
8. Mix dry grout with water to produce a pancake batter consistency.
9. Wearing latex gloves, work the grout over the mosaics, pressing it into the spaces between the glass pieces.
10. Clean the piece with a damp sponge, removing all grout off the glass pieces. Make sure the edges of the grout are even and clean.
11. After the grout is completely dry (overnight) seal the night sky mosaic frame with a 50/50 mixture of glue and water. Apply this glue mixture with a foam brush. Let dry.
12. Clean the frame with glass cleaner to remove the sealing solution from the mosaic pieces.
Emily Kircher, Madison, Wis.