How to Make a Mosaic Leaf Mirror
Sculpt leaves from clay and use them to decorate this mosaic tile mirror.
Materials and Tools:
10" x 10" mirror or frame
low-fire terra cotta clay
mastic (tile glue)
spreader (ice cream/craft stick)
tile scraps (glass, ceramic, etc.)
sanded black grout
small bucket or container
1. Roll out slab of clay (terra cotta) and smooth surface.
2. Cut out leaf shapes and smooth edges with finger using a little water.
3. Draw lines on leaves (with pin tool or pencil) and allow to dry for a day or two.
4. Brush glazes onto tops of leaves. Load kiln.
5. Fire kiln (approximately 12 hours) and cool overnight. Unload kiln.
6. Glue leaves to mirror with mastic. Fill in odd spaces and complete edge (if desired) with tile scraps. Let mastic set up (cure) overnight.
7. Lay newspaper down on table and mix grout with water.
8. Using rubber gloves, spread grout over mirror, doing edges last. Work into crevices.
9. Clean off tile surface with paper towel. Use pin tool or toothpick to clean details.
10. Polish with vinegar and paint back of mirror if desired.
How to Make a Leather Journal
Use basic bookbinding techniques and stamping to create this trim, professional leather journal.
How to Make a Pressed Flower Coaster Set
Avoid watermarks on your living room tables with these easy to make pressed flower coasters.
How to Make a Wire Bookmark
Bend and shape wire into a flower pattern to create a stylish bookmark.
How to Make a Sparkly Cell Phone Cover
Add sparkling, trendy style to your cell phone by covering it with crystals.
Design a Hand-painted Collaged Briefcase
Kay Hilde shows how to collage colorful swirls and other shapes onto a hand-painted briefcase.
House Trinket Box
Peggy Johnston makes a trinket box from polyester sheeting in the shape of a house.
How to Make a Stainless Steel Surfer Light Fixture
Create a surfer-style light fixture from stainless steel and glass with these steps.
How to Build a Fabric Hanger
Step-by-step instructions for making a simple rack for quilts and linens
How to Weave a Decorative Copper Wire Basket
Weave copper wire into a decorative basket embellished with polymer clay beads.
How to Make an Etched Copper Bowl
Etch a eucalyptus-leaf sgraffito design into a copper bowl for a unique piece of pottery.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.