How to Make a Melted Glass Pendant
Materials and Tools:
20mm (3/4") Boroscilicate glass rod
two 5mm Boroscillicate glass rods
color glass stick
protective eyewear: Didymium lenses with flip-down welding lenses
fire-proof safety blanket
3mm graphite stick
1. Wearing eye protection, heat end of 3/4" glass rod to red.
2. Squash vertically on carbon plate to make a flattened, round-shaped pendant.
3. Melt back of pendant until smooth.
4. Melt color stick onto back of pendant in a spiral fashion.
5. Melt back and squash vertically onto carbon plate again a few times until smooth. You may have to add more color if not properly covered.
6. Use quick melt to attach a 5mm rod to middle back of pendant and use as handle.
7. Melt the join between large rod and pendant until it separates.
8. When separated, melt 3/4" rod back into round shape, ready for next pendant.
9. Remove excess glass from pendant with tongs.
10. Melt front of pendant until it becomes smooth.
11. Make hook on the top of the pendant (for a chain or leather necklace) with another 5mm rod. Shape hook until finished.
12. Use pliers to hold pendant by hook while breaking off handle.
13. Put in kiln for about 4 hours.