How to Make a Maui Koi Glass Mural
Fuse glass pieces and powdered glass together to create this colorful Maui koi mural.
Materials and Tools:
assorted 24" x 30" Venetian glass sheets
Glas Tac tacky solution (for tacking glass designs)
powdered glass in assorted colors
1. Illustrate the Maui koi design concept on paper.
2. Select the colored glass sheets for the glass mural. Mark the shapes on the glass sheets and cut out the glass pieces with glasscutters and pliers. Wear protective gloves and eyewear
3. Place the cutout shapes on a sheet of clear textured glass following the drawn design. Tack the glass pieces in place. Position small square glass mosaic pieces between the glass shapes to fill in the design.
4. Place the piece in the kiln and first fuse or flat fuse. Let cool.
5. Draw a fish-shaped stencil and cut it out of paper.
6. Position the stencil on the fused glass piece to begin the process of making a fish:
- Pour powdered glass into a small, fine mesh sieve. Hold the sieve over the stencil and tap it with your finger to cover the stencil with powdered glass.
- Add a second powdered glass color by applying it with a small funnel.
- Remove the stencil and brush excess powdered glass from the piece.
- Repeat the stencil in four places on the plate.
7. Place the Maui koi glass mural piece in the kiln and fire again (second fuse also known as tack fuse). Let cool.
8. Wear protective eyewear, gloves and an apron. Grind the edges of the piece on a glass grinder.
9. Place the plate on a wave-shaped mold in the kiln and fire for the final time. Let cool.
Stained and Fused Glass Panel
Use these step-by-step instructions to create a stained and fused glass panel.
How to Paint a Stained-Glass Window
A family portrait is turned into a unique stained-glass-style window.
How to Make a Stained Glass Kaleidoscope
Use mirrors, glass and faceted beads to create a stunning kaleidoscope.
How to Make a Slumped Glass Wavy Bowl
Fuse a floral design onto a vibrant red slumped bowl that's as functional as it is beautiful.
How to Make Stained Glass Art
Create a distinctive stained glass design to dress up any window.
How to Paint and Fuse a Glass Plaque
Use this technique plus your own drawing to create a decorative, hanging fused glass plaque.
How to Make a Metal Fish Sculpture
Cut, weld and spray paint metal to create this whimsical fish sculpture.
How to Make a Glass Turtle Paperweight
Use glass lampworking tools and techniques to create this small decorative glass turtle.
How to Make Rubber Stamp Art
Use ultraviolet light to make a stamp from a negative, and create a work of art with the stamps.
How to Make a Statue Mold
Use latex, putty and gypsum cement to create an artistic sculpture.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada