How to Make a Leaf Collage
Create a unique expression with paper, paint and pressed leaves.
Materials and Tools:
wrinkled brown paper
dried pressed banana-plant leaves
various textured papers
latex or rubber gloves
staple gun and staples
1. Dilute gel medium with water into a workable consistency. This solution will be used to glue everything onto the canvas.
2. Place canvas on table and place the wrinkled brown paper and colored wallpaper on the canvas, ripping or cutting the papers to create the base composition.
3. Wearing latex or rubber gloves, glue the textured brown paper and wallpaper onto the canvas with the diluted gel medium, brushing a coat of gel medium onto the canvas and the back of each piece of paper.
4. Make sure the papers are well adhered by smoothing them with your hands. Let dry.
6. Place dry pressed leaves on the canvas composition. With India ink, water and a paintbrush, paint faces on selected leaves. Dip the brush in water to create a diffused quality.
7. Apply fixative spray to the painted leaves. Let dry.
9. Cut the leaf faces apart and apply only part of the face along the edge of the canvas. Let dry.
11. Seal the entire collage with a coat of gel medium.
How to Paint a Bear Stocking
Dress up your holiday stocking with a teddy bear.
How to Make a Mosaic Leaf Mirror
Sculpt leaves from clay and use them to decorate this mosaic tile mirror.
How to Create a Mixed Media Collage
Sheila Wilson creates a mixed media collage.
How to Make a Decoupaged Matchbook Collage
Transform an old door or piece of wood into a decoupaged matchbook collage to hang in any room.
How to Make a Cloisonné Painted Egg
Paint flowers on this delightful forgot-me-not cloisonné egg
How to Paint a Kitchen Island
Bring customized style to your kitchen by painting the island a color that complements the room.
How to Make an Etched Copper Bowl
Etch a eucalyptus-leaf sgraffito design into a copper bowl for a unique piece of pottery.
How to Make a Textured Flower Quilt
Use creative tucks and other techniques to create a textured flower quilt.
How to Make an Aluminum Journal Cover
Make a journal cover with aluminum tape for an elegant look.
How to Make a Confetti Naturescape Quilt
Turn scrap fabric into an oil painting-style quilt with these steps.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada