How to Make a Knitted and Gel-Bleached Scarf
Materials and Tools:
5 skeins Sunshine yarn
#8 knitting needles
Trendsetter gel bleach
pkg. gel set
sink or 2 large bowls
5 sts and 7 rows = 1 inch
1. With #8 needle and Sunshine yarn, cast on 3 sts. Purl 1 row.
2. Working in stockinette stitch throughout, increase 1 stitch at beginning of every knit row 32 times. (35 sts)
3. Work even for 40".
4. Decrease 1 stitch at beginning of every knit row 32 times. (3 sts)
5. Bind off remaining 3 sts.
6. Work 1 row of single crochet around entire piece.
7. Fringe three sides as follows: Cut Sunshine yarn in 12" strips. Fold in half and pull through each single crochet from beginning of curve all the way to curve at opposite end. Do not fringe the straight edge.
8. For gelling: Pin piece to large towel to hold edges straight. Draw designs with gel bleach onto work. Do not forget to gel the fringe.
9. Let sit for about 5 minutes or until colors bleach to desired intensity.
10. Add 1 tbsp. of gel set to sink (or large bowl) full of water. Set gelled piece in water and gently move around to totally saturate.
11. Remove from water and rinse in clean water. If a dryer is available, throw in to dry. If not, wring out and gently smooth on towel until dry.
12. Tie beads on some of the fringes.