How to Make a Heart-Shaped Clay Rattle
Make a puffed up clay rattle decorated with stamped clay and a glaze of your choice.
Materials and Tools:
wire clay cutter
slab roller or rolling pin
heart-shaped cookie cutter
pieces of fired clay
- Cut a 1-inch slice of clay from a stoneware clay brick.
- Roll out the slice on a slab roller or with a rolling pin.
- Cut two hearts from the clay with the heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- "Puff" the heart by gently shaping and stretching the clay with your fingers.
- Score the inside of the heart edges using a scoring rib and moisten with water.
- Press the outside edges gently together, smoothing with your fingers.
- Insert a drinking straw into the bottom and seal the clay around the straw.
- Gently blow into the straw to puff the heart out more. Remove the straw.
- Insert tiny balls or pieces of fired clay inside the heart and seal up most of the hole made by the straw. Note: Leave a small hole for air to escape during firing.
- Roll out a small piece of clay and stamp a design into the clay.
- Attach the design to the top of the heart for decoration.
- Allow the clay heart to dry to the "bone dry" stage.
- Bisque-fire the heart in an electric kiln. Let cool.
- Once fired, paint glaze onto the puffed heart clay rattle.
- Fire the glazed clay rattle on stilts in an electric kiln for the final finish.
Susan Ryles, Atlanta, Ga.