How to Make a Hand-Carved Stoneware Vase
Materials and Tools:
electric potter's wheel
cone 4-to-cone 6 stoneware clay
water and sponge
metal and wood ribs
triangular and round carving tools
ware cart and boards
various raw chemicals to make glazes
10-gallon painter's bucket
mixed glaze and glazing tongs
1. Wedge the clay to condition it.
2. Center the clay on the potter's wheel and open the clay to throw the pot.
3. Throw the pot, shaping it with a wet sponge and using a rib to form the neck.
5. Cut the vase from the wheel head with a wire tool.
7. Carve the vase with a triangle tool and cut swirling lines and notches in the sides of the vase.
8. Let the vase dry completely.
10. Mix the glaze with water in a bucket until it reaches the consistency of 2 percent milk. Sieve the glaze.
11. Dip the vase in the glaze to coat the inside and outside of the vase.
12. Clean the foot of the vase with water.
13. Stack the kiln again and fire the vase for its glaze firing.
14. When cool, remove the vase from the kiln.