How to Make a Fused Glass Sushi Plate
Materials and Tools:
5 colors of blue bull's eye 3mm glass (alternating opaque and transparent)
5-1/2" x 10-1/2" bull's eye 3mm clear glass
kiln shelf treated with kiln wash
glass grinder (optional)
1. To make fused glass tile: Measure with ruler a 5-1/2" x 10-1/2" piece of clear glass. Mark measurements with permanent marker.
2. Lubricate glass cutter with oil. Use glass cutter and straight edge to score glass on marks. Use running pliers to break glass along the score line.
3. Measure and cut five 1-1/8" x 10-1/2" blue stripes each for design, alternating opaque and transparent blue glass.
4. Clean all the glass pieces with dish soap and hot water while retaining your design. Dry each piece thoroughly with a lint-free cotton towel. Place the stripes on the kiln shelf and top with the clear glass.
5. Fire to fuse temperature (approximately 1450 F degrees) and anneal (cool slowly). The fusing process takes approximately 6 hours and approximately 6 more hours to anneal.
6. When the kiln reaches room temperature, remove the fused glass tile. True-up all edges with a grinder to achieve straight 90-degree angles.
7. To make the mold: Measure fiberboard to a 5-1/2" x. 10-1/2" rectangle. Cut rectangle with a utility knife.
8. Measure and cut out the inside of the rectangle leaving a 1-1/8-inch border all around.
9. Apply kiln wash to mold. Fire mold to 1400 F degrees in a slightly vented kiln to burn off all binders. Allow to cool.
10. Thoroughly clean fused glass tile.
11. Place fused glass tile on top of mold on kiln shelf. Load kiln. Fire to slump temperature (1250 F degrees) and anneal. The slumping process takes about 8 hours and about 8 more hours to anneal.
Leah Bohannon, Chicago