How to Make a Dyed Fabric Book Cover
Dress up a plain book, photo album or journal with a hand-dyed and beaded fabric cover.
Materials and Tools:
Procion MX dye
synthrapol fabric detergent
stabilizer (such as batting/felt/Pellon interfacing)
fabric for inside cover
white plastic eraser
Lyric recommends the Color by Accident book and Exploring Colors Kit available at prochemicalanddye.com.
Dye the fabric
- Wearing a dust mask and gloves, mix dye powder with water and urea.
- Wet fabric in water/soda ash solution.
- Wring out fabric, scrunch and twist. Wrap fabric in rubber bands and place in container. Pour on dye and let sit for 4 hours.
- Remove rubber bands. Rinse repeatedly.
- Run fabric through the washing machine with synthrapol fabric detergent and dry.
Make the book cover
- Lay book on stabilizer and trace its size with a marker.
- Choose gorgeous fabric scraps and play with different arrangements. Sew scraps together onto the stabilizer (quilt or embroider if needed).
- Use a craft knife to carve a stamp from a white plastic eraser.
- Brush fabric paint onto the stamp with a foam brush and stamp all over the cover. Let paint dry.
- Choose and sew on beads and buttons for embellishments.
- Lay out fabric, measure and cut inside book cover.
- Layer inside and outside book covers, right sides in. Using a zipper foot on your sewing machine, sew around outside edges. Trim off corners and turn right side out.
- Fold covers of book back and slip onto book.
Lyric Montgomery Kinard, Cary, N.C.
How to Make a Pressed Flower Coaster Set
Avoid watermarks on your living room tables with these easy to make pressed flower coasters.
How to Make a Leather Journal
Use basic bookbinding techniques and stamping to create this trim, professional leather journal.
How to Make a Mosaic Leaf Mirror
Sculpt leaves from clay and use them to decorate this mosaic tile mirror.
How to Make a Wire Bookmark
Bend and shape wire into a flower pattern to create a stylish bookmark.
How to Make a Stainless Steel Surfer Light Fixture
Create a surfer-style light fixture from stainless steel and glass with these steps.
How to Build a Fabric Hanger
Step-by-step instructions for making a simple rack for quilts and linens
Handmade Mosaic Tile Backsplash
Design a colorful mosaic tile backsplash to add a bit of flair to your kitchen.
Learn how to make a steel dragonfly ornament that's perfect for dressing up any corner of the home.
Build a Brass and Aluminum Wall Hanging
Assemble and display this geometric-shaped metal wall hanging using basic metalworking techniques.
Step-by-step instructions for making these colorful accents.
We're serving up the latest news, gorgeous style, crafty DIY projects, clever entertaining tips and more. Consider these your design digests.