How to Make a Domino Art Pendant
Materials and Tools:
320-grit and 400-grit sandpaper
gloss acrylic spray
inkjet decal transfer paper
acrylic paint: green, brown, flesh color, blue
bowl of warm water
computer and image editing program
silver leafing pen
jump rings or o-rings
1/8" hole punch
heat embossing tool
- Draw an image onto a piece of maple wood.
- Paint the image using acrylic paints.
- Photograph the finished image with a digital camera.
- Resize the image using computer image editing software to 2" x 1" and print the image onto decal transfer paper. Print several images on the paper in case one becomes torn in the transfer process.
- Spray three even coats of high-gloss acrylic spray onto the transfer sheet allowing each layer to dry before applying another coat.
- Mark the middle of the back side (numbered side) of the domino for drilling a hole to place the necklace cord.
- Score the marked area on the domino with a razor blade. Drill the hole.
- Sand the solid front and sides of the domino with 320-grit sand paper and resand with 400-grit sandpaper for a smooth finish.
- Spray the unnumbered side of the domino with one light coat of acrylic gloss spray. Let dry.
- Cut out the transfer image and slightly round the corners to match the rounded corners of the domino.
- Place the image onto the domino and mark the hole in the image to correspond with the drilled hole in the domino. Hole punch the image using a hole punch.
- Dip the transfer image into warm water for 60 seconds.
- Slide the transfer onto the domino. Remove air bubbles with your finger. Use a paper towel to press the image down and remove excess water. Using your finger in a rolling motion, go around the edges and over the entire image to make sure it is secure on the domino.
- Let the image dry for about an hour.
- Tape the side edge of the domino.
- Go around the domino and image with a silver leafing pen.
- Heat-emboss the silver leafing to speed up drying. Remove the tape.
- Spray the domino with a few coats of acrylic spray. Let dry.
- Apply even coats of polyurethane with a foam brush, allowing each coat to dry before applying another until satisfied with the finish.
- Cut the desired length of leather cord and string it through the drilled hole in the domino. Slide an accent bead down over the leather cord.
- Using jewelry pliers attach two end connectors (one for each end of the leather).
- Attach two split jump rings (one for each end connector) and one lobster clasp.
Kelly Smith, Rising Sun, Md.