How to Make a Decorative Tile Tray
Apply your own design to a ceramic tile serving tray with these steps.
Materials and Tools:
4-by-4-inch ceramic tiles
1. Stain and shellac the tray.
2. Wipe the bisque tiles clean with a damp sponge and let dry for five minutes.
3. Apply the chosen design to the tiles using trace paper and carbon paper.
4. Paint the tiles with ceramic paint and let dry for 12 hours.
5. Glaze tiles with two coats and let dry completely.
6. Fire the tiles in a kiln. Allow to cool. Take the tiles out of the kiln the next day.
7. Measure designed tiles to fit in center of the tray; then measure the border (remaining area on tray around designed tiles).
8. Glue designed tiles in the center of the tray.
9. Measure the border (the remaining area on tray around designed tiles). Cut border tiles to the space and glue them in place.
10. Let the tiles dry for at least two hours.
11. Mix the grout and let it set for 10 to 15 minutes.
12. Spray the tray and tiles with water. Apply grout and push it into the spaces between tiles. Remove excess grout; wait about 10 to 15 minutes and wipe with a damp sponge.
13. After an hour, wipe again with a damp sponge and then with a dry towel. Let dry for 24 to 36 hours without moving.