How to Make a Customized Headboard
Pattern it after a favorite piece of furniture and follow these step-by-step instructions.
Make a headboard to match your décor with this project. The headboard pictured is patterned after a dresser and a pie safe in the same room. Thanks to careful attention to detail, the headboard fits in perfectly. Here's how to build your own:
Materials and Tools:
4-by-8-foot sheet of MDF (medium-density fiberboard)
1-by-8-inch poplar lumber
1. Determine the height of the headboard by propping pillows against the wall (the featured headboard extends 28 inches above the pillows). Draw the desired shape for the main body of the headboard on the MDF and cut it out with a jigsaw.
2. The first piece to add is a curved topper cut out of poplar. Attach it to the MDF with wood glue and a brad nailer, making sure the nails are short enough to avoid going through the back of the MDF.
3. For the finish trim on top, use a ½-by-3-inch piece of poplar cut to length with a little overhang. Run a bead of glue on top of the MDF, and then attach the board, starting at one end, with drywall screws down from the top through pre-drilled pilot holes. Work your way slowly along the curve of the MDF, which should be slight enough to bend the board into position. If necessary, use a pair of clamps to help bend the piece into position.
4. Cut all the detail trim pieces for the sides and the facing of the board, and then attach each with wood glue and a brad nailer. Fill the nail and screw holes with spackle, and sand smooth once dry.
5. Prime and paint the piece as desired.
HGTV Green Home 2012: Headboard Project
Re-create HGTV Green Home's master bedroom headboard for your own queen-size bed! Twenty-five 12-inch upholstered squares are set in five rows of five to create the unique, eco-friendly design.
How to Build Kirei Board Bookcases
Eco-friendly boards add a beautiful but inexpensive touch to built-in plywood shelves.
How to Make Twig Furniture
Add a country touch to any decor with this project.
Storage Headboard for a Kid's Room
Tidy up a kid's bedroom with extra storage in the headboard. Follow these step-by-step instructions to create your own.
How to Build a Raised-Panel Headboard
Add layers of lumber and decorative trim to a plywood base to create the illusion of one solid headboard. Follow these step-by-step instructions.
How to Build a Wrought Iron Panel Headboard
Create a custom headboard with lumber and wrought iron panels.
Weekend Project: Build an Easy-to-Make Slatted Headboard
Add instant charm and personality to your bedroom with a wooden headboard. It takes less than a weekend to build and less than $100 in materials.
How to Make a Reverse Mosaic Chair
This colorful chair uses a reverse mosaic technique so the surface is smooth for sitting.
How to Give Furniture a Faux Finish
Create custom "antique" furniture with paint and wax.
How to Make Folded Paper Rosettes
Use this basic technique to turn scrapbooking paper, wallpaper or colored cardstock into a festive decoration.
Found a living space you love in HGTV's Photo Library? Get the look in your own home with products from Wayfair.
Photo Friday: Cooking and Dining in the Great Outdoors
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 28, 2015 by Beth Rucker
This or That: Pick Your Favorite Vintage Find From Fixer Upper
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 27, 2015 by Farima Alavi
6 Essentials for the Perfect Tailgate Party + Win the 1 Thing You Really Need
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 25, 2015 by Farima Alavi
Discover the Winning Hue in Our Color Vs. Color Competition!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Kayla Kitts
Copy This Room: Get Beach Flip Style in Your Living Room
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 24, 2015 by Shannon Petrie
4 Ways to Personalize Your Dorm Desk + College Goodie Giveaway!
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 21, 2015 by Farima Alavi
The Easiest (and Cutest!) DIY Dorm Roommate Mugs Ever
HGTV Design Blog – Design Happens Aug 20, 2015 by Marianne Canada